FIRST WHEAT PENNY!

ragu

Dec 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I was accross the street from my home. The city has recently bought out a bunch of homes there so I figured I would detect at a home I knew was built in the 50's. I knew the guy that lived in it and he also built this home and three others on this block. Went out yesterday and found a 70's qtr and a few other items. Like yesterday I was using my Ace 250 and using the coin discrimination. Any of nails in the picture were found in a hole with something else the detector pinged on. The two larger pieces of metal were found by detector pings at 8+ inches. Not sure what either of them are. The one is about the thickness of a license plate but no stamped numbers or anything on it. The other looks to be a crushed section of pipe.

The wheat penny was my second find today at about 4 inches. I had to resist rubbing it like I see in many youtube videos. I looked at it closely and could only discern it was a penny from Lincolns head on it. Put it in the pocket and went home after awhile. Pulled the penny out and saw it was a wheat! I was very excited. Washed it in warm water and it is a 1947 penny. I'm happy!

100_0004_zpsfd7ffb51.jpg

Upvote 7

Blskypilot

Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Infinium ls
At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd still be over on those lots. Usually wheats are good indicators for silver. They stopped making wheat penny's before silver coins so you've got a good chance of digging a silver coin. I'd dig everything 80 and up....sure wish I could walk across the street to decent hunting grounds.

Good luck!

OP
OP
R

ragu

Dec 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
80 and up? That must be an indicator for a fancier detector than I have. Mine just dings and points at what it thinks it is! lol

Blskypilot

Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Infinium ls
At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm using an at pro, you want the high tones. I haven't used the 250 but it's got some kind of target ID screen no?

If not, plant some coins and get used to what the dimes and quarters sound like. Then go dig them off those lots. Bound to be silver. Unless someone with an at pro beat you to it. :p

OP
OP
R

ragu

Dec 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
It does have a display.... This is what it looks like!

ace_250_display_zps65242268.jpg

White Akuma

May 2, 2012
Dolly Sods, WV
Detector(s) used
Ace 250,
ATGOLD!!
xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grats on the wheatie. Just got an Ace 250 myself and am straight loving it! Looking forward to more pics from those old house lots, and all that hidden silver, lol.

Blskypilot

Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Infinium ls
At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yah it's a bit different than the pro but in the top right of the screen where it shows the dime and quarter marks and says silver, those are what you want. Go drop some Coins on the ground and pay close attention to the indicators to see what they tell you. You will learn to distinguish the difference between the coins and then you'll be better prepared to do the same when they are under ground.

OP
OP
R

ragu

Dec 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I went back out after some sloppy Joe's for lunch. Still finding large pieces of metal that I assume is aluminum but is showing in the 50 cent to dollar range which is silver.... They aren't silver though as they get rusty and one looked like sheathing for roofing. Oh well. I'll go back out tomorrow for more! One of the best finds was coming home to a home-made chicken pot pie! it was delicious!

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find! Good hunting grounds.

But, I wouldn't be too concerned with trying to ONLY find the "good" stuff. Many have pounded the sites I go into and BECAUSE I don't JUST dig the 80 and ups, I've come away with a LOT of good stuff. Sides, only dig 80s and up and you'll be missing some of the GOLD that may be there. :)

Good luck!

HH!

OP
OP
R

ragu

Dec 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Well so far I took out everything but "Coins" and I'm still finding a TON of nails and other things, only found 2 actual coins there so far but i'll keep going there! Wishing I had a minelab ctx 3030 or the garret pro! lol oh well I'll keep pluggin away with my 250! I do get a lot of phantom signals when it bumps into things but i'm glad I finally figured that out.

Dihren

Jun 13, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ragu said:
I was accross the street from my home. The city has recently bought out a bunch of homes there so I figured I would detect at a home I knew was built in the 50's. I knew the guy that lived in it and he also built this home and three others on this block. Went out yesterday and found a 70's qtr and a few other items. Like yesterday I was using my Ace 250 and using the coin discrimination. Any of nails in the picture were found in a hole with something else the detector pinged on. The two larger pieces of metal were found by detector pings at 8+ inches. Not sure what either of them are. The one is about the thickness of a license plate but no stamped numbers or anything on it. The other looks to be a crushed section of pipe.

The wheat penny was my second find today at about 4 inches. I had to resist rubbing it like I see in many youtube videos. I looked at it closely and could only discern it was a penny from Lincolns head on it. Put it in the pocket and went home after awhile. Pulled the penny out and saw it was a wheat! I was very excited. Washed it in warm water and it is a 1947 penny. I'm happy!

Still waiting for mine! Congratulations!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
R

ragu

Dec 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Dihren, Just keep pluggin away! I get frustrated when I go out and dig a hole for 5 minutes and find a nail at the bottom or other junk. Yesterday when I found the qtr right off the bat it kept me going. Then today I found 1 wheatie and enough nails and metal pieces to build a shed! Its amazing how one little find can keep you digging through the garbage. I'm still hoping to find a little piece of silver!

Blskypilot

Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Infinium ls
At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WHADIFIND said:
Nice find! Good hunting grounds.

But, I wouldn't be too concerned with trying to ONLY find the "good" stuff. Many have pounded the sites I go into and BECAUSE I don't JUST dig the 80 and ups, I've come away with a LOT of good stuff. Sides, only dig 80s and up and you'll be missing some of the GOLD that may be there. :)

Good luck!

HH!

I wasn't telling him as a rule to cherry pick and only dig 80s and up everywhere you go. That would be kind of stupid and as you stated you could be missing gold. Alot of this hobby and the trash to treasure ratio you end up with depends on how well you know your detector and the sites you have available to hunt.

For a newer guy who wants to quit digging trash I do not suggest old homesites and the dig it all attitude. You'll probably dig a million tabs, chunks of can slaw and other bits of junk that ring up gold but are not. At the beach or rec sites I agree, dig it. Much higher chances of goods that way. If you've got limited time like me you get tired of the trash from time to time and it's more fun to go after the targets that have potential right away and come back with the trash collector attitude as the easy goods disappear.

sheep

Sep 7, 2012
Owensville In
Detector(s) used
Ace 350, Propointer, minelab musketeer x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first wheatie!

OP
OP
R

ragu

Dec 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I'm digging under the coin discrimination in this home site and still finding plenty of trash.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wasn't telling him as a rule to cherry pick and only dig 80s and up everywhere you go. That would be kind of stupid and as you stated you could be missing gold. Alot of this hobby and the trash to treasure ratio you end up with depends on how well you know your detector and the sites you have available to hunt.

For a newer guy who wants to quit digging trash I do not suggest old homesites and the dig it all attitude. You'll probably dig a million tabs, chunks of can slaw and other bits of junk that ring up gold but are not. At the beach or rec sites I agree, dig it. Much higher chances of goods that way. If you've got limited time like me you get tired of the trash from time to time and it's more fun to go after the targets that have potential right away and come back with the trash collector attitude as the easy goods disappear.

Yep, and we both know that there are times to just plain NOT dig EVERYTHING. If I had done that in the last place I was hunting I'd have removed the whole top layer of sod. LOL

I was just trying to be sure that ONLY digging the high tones didn't become a rule. Of course, it does leave a LOT behind for me to find when people do that, ya know? ;) I do that occasionally too. Especially when I'm in a new place and am concerned that some high-falootin groundskeeper will become annoyed that I might actually find something on ground they've kept for so long. (jealousy). ;)

I figure that I might only have a few minutes to check out the new place. :) BUT, as a rule, I let the find tell me whether I should dig or not. I swear, some hits I just cannot understand how some people could ever ignore them. LOL

Like you say, learn your machine very well and then, know your hunting ground. The rest will come.

HH!

OP
OP
R

ragu

Dec 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I'm a long way from "learning" my machine, I get phantom tones a lot (which I'm starting to figure out usually happens when I bump the coil as i'm swinging through), I have dug a lot of 8 inch holes and then ran the Ace over it and around the hole and there is absolutely nothing... thats frustrating. I knew there would be A LOT of garbage in this lot because in the house I now live in, the guy used to take his trash and dump it in the lot I was detecting in. Like I said, I was digging coin descrimination and hitting the dollar/silver dings and finding large pieces of metal, which i can only assume is aluminum, but i didn't think that registered as silver.... Maybe I threw big chunks of silver away? :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread