Fisher Coinstrike Review

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Currently I have 4 metal detectors – the Whites DFX , The Minelab Quattro, The Minelab Explorer II and A Whites Classic III SL. The Explorer I have only had for about a month. My review of the Coinstrike is based on my experience with it in Cleveland, Ohio and is in comparison to the above mentioned metal detectors that I have. I had the Coinstrike for about six months. I made some good finds with it and think it is a good detector.

The Pros:
- Simple and fun to use.
- Good target separation.
- Good for iron infested sites.
- Good solid lock on coin sized targets up to about 6” deep
- Easy to cover a lot of ground .
- Great for relic hunting.

The Cons:
- Interference. Could not use it near my back side of my house – power lines made it too unstable.
- Depth not the greatest. In my soil conditions deepest I can get on a penny is 6-7 inches tops. It will get a silver dime up to a max of 6 inches(even with the 10” coil).
- Deep rusted iron will give off a high tone. You can sweep in alternate directions and still get a good signal. A lot of times you will see a negative number and you can eliminate it as being iron but it does like rusty iron.
- Pinpointing number system is a bit tedious. You have to focus on number readout rather than a bargraph or strictly tone.
- Tend to dig more trash(than with the Quattro, DFX and Exp II).

Overall it is a good detector especially if you are planning on digging everything. Learning curve was very quick being accustomed to White’s Metal Detectors(I understand it is more difficult if you are use to a previous Fisher detector like the CZ series). I sold it because I was just digging too much trash with it and could not get the depth I needed to get the deep coins we consistently find in Ohio.

Sal

Sep 17, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
dfx-eagle 2 sl-troy x 5-newforce r 1-6000 xl pro- tejon-cz 6a- shadow x 5 xp deus explorer 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mirage said:
Currently I have 4 metal detectors – the Whites DFX , The Minelab Quattro, The Minelab Explorer II and A Whites Classic III SL. The Explorer I have only had for about a month. My review of the Coinstrike is based on my experience with it in Cleveland, Ohio and is in comparison to the above mentioned metal detectors that I have. I had the Coinstrike for about six months. I made some good finds with it and think it is a good detector.

The Pros:
- Simple and fun to use.

The Cons:
- Interference. Could not use it near my back side of my house – power lines made it too unstable.
- Depth not the greatest. In my soil conditions deepest I can get on a penny is 6-7 inches tops. It will get a silver dime up to a max of 6 inches(even with the 10” coil).
- Deep rusted iron will give off a high tone. You can sweep in alternate directions and still get a good signal. A lot of times you will see a negative number and you can eliminate it as being iron but it does like rusty iron.
- Pinpointing number system is a bit tedious. You have to focus on number readout rather than a bargraph or strictly tone.

Overall it is a good detector especially if you are planning on digging everything. Learning curve was very quick being accustomed to White’s Metal Detectors(I understand it is more difficult if you are use to a previous Fisher detector like the CZ series). I sold it because I was just digging too much trash with it and could not get the depth I needed to get the deep coins we consistently find in Ohio.
Where are you located in cleveland,i am from the same area shoot me a email....Sal

re-tek

Jul 15, 2007
miami fl
Detector(s) used
coinstrike, tigershark, ace250, OLD radioshack
i've been using a coinstrike now for about 4 months or so. i think its a great coinshooter but like you said, its got quirks.

using it under powerlines...
i pulled this off last night succesfully. sensitivity at 1-2 and threshold at -10. work slow. you'd think it would be deaf but i pulled coins from 4" or more without trouble. just got to work slow. i was able to work a trashy area directly under powerlines along the road.

false signals...
i've found this to be the result of utility cables under or above ground. not just power but telco and catv stuff. once again lower the sensitivity. i usually hunt at like 4-5 with the threshold at -5 and its pretty stable. i have yet to find a place where i can run at 8 or higher on sensitivity and not have it chatter.

pinpointing...
forget the numbers. go by tone level. if you get saturated just go slightly off the target and hit the pinpoint button again. this will detune the pinpoint circuit and make it less sensitive thus giving you a smaller target pinpoint. i can pinpoint like this to the point where i can get dead on the object and just dig a tiny hole to retreive it.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Mirage said:

The Pros:
- Simple and fun to use.

The Cons:

Thanks for the info.

Those depths you mention are not bad at all. A penny at 7 inches? That's up there with the Tejon.

Where you hunting in Ohio that's so deep? Here in Michigan it's rare to find an old coin more than 6 inches deep. The ones I dug were at landfill sites.

I just picked up a Coinstrike via a trade deal.

Badger

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread