Feb 16, 2017
Santa Barbara,Ca
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Prospector
Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello everyone;
I want to upgrade to a new'er beach saltwater detector. Using a single freq vlf at the moment and as you all know they don't like saltwater. Throw in i live in So Cal where we have LOTS of black sand and my machine doesn't hack it. On the dry , no problem. I'm not going more than knee/thigh deep.
So my question is , I hear the Fisher CZ20/21 is a waterproof CZ5/6 locked in salt mode. How true is this ? Would a CZ5/6 be a good option?

Upvote 0

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Old post but the Fisher CZ's still are the #1 in depth on the beach. I have had a Legend for a while now and the CZ's are still king.
A couple things to add to the CZ's 20/21 besides heavy and built like a tank to last. If someone told me the CZ's were deeper I would not have believed them but several years ago I met up with a couple guys and one had a CZ 21. We did the depth test on a few gold rings and the CZ was deeper on all over my modified excalibur. Both had stock coils, and the deepest I could get a 7 gram gold band was 14 inches with a good hit and barely at 15. The CZ hit it at 18.. with a good hit! The only problem is the CZ has to be dead over the target since the send field is cone shaped. So that means it is deeper but the amount area it covers at that depth is small and to hunt efficiently would mean multiple overlapping swings to cover a small area. Also on the CZ it is well known each machines performance can vary, some are Hot and some are Hotter.
As far as King on depth on the beach and in the water the Fishers still have it but in the forum of the Impulse (Manta) AQ. The AQ does have it's issues and needs refined so I would not recommend it until the next generation comes along.

zigzag

Sep 17, 2011
ft laud, fl
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 2 xcal II 1000's, 1 has OBN's remote PP & peltor HP's, 2 aquasounds, dual field, sunspot 920i hybrid, 720i, 3 rtg scoops, Howie scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I've never tested my CTX but it is a very deep machine. It's now my favorite detector but I still love my OBN modded Excal.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread