FISHER CZ20 OR AT PRO??????????????

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
i bought a cz 20 about 2 years ago to use only to water hunt,the whole thing looked hardly used well after it sat for awhile because i was busy doing a baseball park that i wanted to hit before some one else got to there.so before last winter i remembered i did'nt remove the batteries i took off the battery door and on the mating surface of the door housing i noticed a melt mark on the main housing.so now i'm petrified to take it in the water!and i feel like i wasted the money on it i hear they are a great machine.i thought i was getting a good deal but some how i did'nt notice this defect and now i'm sure thats why the guy dumped it.so what to do????i guess the whole main housing have to be replaced to make it water tight??should i just keep it for a land machine and get and just get the at pro for the water??i'd like your opinions if you had to choose either machine WHICH ONE would you pick?

Hawk'n Dirt

Sep 6, 2013
Humble, Tx
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Ace 250
TC3X
BH Texas Pilot
Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the unit is a good machine and before I spent $600 + on a new detector, I would send it back to Fisher to let them look at it and see if they can fix it for a reasonable price. You may just end up with a quality machine for much less. You can spend any extra saved money on accessories....

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love my CZ-20's and while the ATP is a good wading detector for freshwater, I would never waste my time trying to use it at a saltwater beach in the wet sand or in the water. You would have to lower the sens to much to make it stable. But the ATP in not in the same ball park as the CZ-20. The Fisher was designed to use TWO frequencies at once unlike the ATP. These two freq. go lots deeper and aren't affected to the salt concentrations and black sand that you have at the beach. The CZ20 and CZ21 have 3 different tones to id the target and they are quite accurate. Naturally the deeper the object the less accurate just like all detectors that try to id the target. I have dove with the CZ20, 1280, Tiger Shark, Surf PI Pro, Sand Shark and Excal. None of these leaked when even down to over 100 foot. You could send in the CZ to Fisher but I expect they will say they can't fix it and will want to convert it to a CZ-21 for $$$. What ever price they want it is better than anything you'd pay for a AT Pro. My ATP hangs on a wall and the only thing I like about it is the weight.

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I would listen to sandman... I have an at-pro and it might be a good detector inland, or maybe in a river/lake, but for salt water beaches it is near to useless. I have tried it. The CZ-20 was/is one of THE BEST water machines out there. If you want to trade yours over an at-pro send me a message... I might be interested...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread