Fisher Edge Discrimination setting

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
I recently bought my wife a Fisher Edge detector because all the electronics are on her belt. She had to do it that way so she can handle weight of the unit.

The instruction manual is pretty bad. I'm a White's DFX and Garrett Infinium user so this manual makes no sense so I need some help.

You can set the discrimination from -36 to +36 I believe. The manual give you a discrimination wheel to refer to. -36 to 0 is iron and the positive numbers are other metals. Can somebody explain to me what setting the Discrimination to "0" does. I thought it would "skip over" anything less than 0 - iron. It doesn't seem to make a difference. She still gets negative numbers and sounds to go along with the -29d, the -18s, the -12s. So what does the setting do or change?

Thanks,
Lost in Fisher Land

Daryl

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could she be getting confused ?
You have audio I.D. discrimination running from -36 (all metal) to +22 ? (haven't used one for ages) and LCD discrimination from -36 through to +36. Is she using all metal with the meter I.D. on which would sound off on all targets whilst still providing audio and visual I.D. even if the target is in the normal rejected zone ?

OP
OP
BioProfessor

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
I think both of us are confused. The manual doesn't say much. When she sets the discrimination when the icon labeled "Discrimination" is flashing, the dark portion of the circle increases or decreases as the numbers are varied from -36 to + 36. I thought this "matched up" with the circle they show in the book telling you what the VID numbers mean as far as the type metal it thinks it is. Below 0 is iron and everything positive is foil, brass, silver, etc. I was thinking that if you set the discrimination in this way, it would discriminate out the numbers below. What does it really do?

The book says nothing about an audio discrimination or anything to set from -36 to +22. The only modes she can be in are "All Metal," "Notch," or "Factory Preset"

Just can't figure the damn thing out.

Daryl

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whish I could remember the machine better. Doesn't anyone have one ?

Anyway from the MENU button you adjust the discrimination and at 0 you should have the rubbish silenced. Turn the discrim. down to -36 and you hear everything but now have four tones as well as the LCD readout to use for I.D.

I think Bill Ladd did one of the original field tests. Might be worth looking it up on the web. I think it gave me a laugh at the time as he said that you only need to read the manual once because its so easy.

OP
OP
BioProfessor

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Re: Fisher Edge Discrimination setting - Solved

Thanks guys. I got a PM last night from another forum. He asked me to call so we could go over it. Finally got through and we went through the set-up. Seems that you are in the "Discrimination Mode" if the "All Metal" marker is NOT on. There is no indicator to tell you when you are in the Discrimination mode. Crap. Cheap &*^%^%$

I agree with having to read the manual only once. Just put it in you ditty bag to have something to start a fire with.

Daryl

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread