Fisher F2 or Garret Ace 250?

dossier

Aug 23, 2011
PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Hands
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After watching lots of reviews I've come down to these two choices, which were also originally suggested to me in another thread.

My major problem with what I'm reading with the F2:
It seems to be useless detecting in watery soil or sand.

My major problem with the 250:
Watched a video review where it would show a bottle cap read exactly the same as a quarter (might've been a 350 actually.. Assuming 250 reads similar)

Fave thing about F2: it has numbered readings (really like that)

Fave thing about the 250: it seemed to give solid reads more often in all the vids I saw.

So it seems F2 is less versatile than the 250 but on the other hand the f2 is choppier but more accurate when you sift through the noise.

Help!

I will primarily be searching non-beach area but I do have an 8day vaca coming up where I def would want to search fresh water beaches.. It seems like if I want any use from it near water I can't have the f2, which is sad BC the numbered results seems far superior than the Garrett..

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
F2 will bury the 250 in every way! It's not even remotely close.

Dunno what you're reading and/or watching but stop it!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's one other machine that's "far superior" to both of your choices IMO. The Eurotek Pro. It has the best audio made in the $200 range, adjustable iron audio, very fast recovery and best of all it's not bright yellow! Really though all three will find coins and jewelry if you put the coil over it! Good luck and HH!

Last edited:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have to remember that the screens aren't accurate telling you what it is, only what it could be as it is based on conductivity. YouTube video's can show you anything the poster wants to show ya. They might have something to prove or fake results. Since you are going to hunt a fresh water beach, any detector will work well till you get the box wet. Personally I would choose another detector altogether, but that's just me. I don't use screens.

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After watching lots of reviews I've come down to these two choices, which were also originally suggested to me in another thread.

My major problem with what I'm reading with the F2:
It seems to be useless detecting in watery soil or sand.

My major problem with the 250:
Watched a video review where it would show a bottle cap read exactly the same as a quarter (might've been a 350 actually.. Assuming 250 reads similar)

Fave thing about F2: it has numbered readings (really like that)

Fave thing about the 250: it seemed to give solid reads more often in all the vids I saw.

So it seems F2 is less versatile than the 250 but on the other hand the f2 is choppier but more accurate when you sift through the noise.

Help!

I will primarily be searching non-beach area but I do have an 8day vaca coming up where I def would want to search fresh water beaches.. It seems like if I want any use from it near water I can't have the f2, which is sad BC the numbered results seems far superior than the Garrett..

Absolutely the F2, no contest. No detector (not even the ace 250) will perform well on the wet sand. For that, you'd need a multi-frequency or pulse induction machine which would run you at least $600 new. As far as the IDs go, most of the videos showing that are using freshly buried coins, which are famous for being hard to detect. From my experience, the F2 IDs quite well, you just have to learn the machine.
However, as others have said, you might want to take a look into the Eurotek Pro as well.

Hope this helps!
C4C

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You have to remember that the screens aren't accurate telling you what it is, only what it could be as it is based on conductivity…. I don't use screens.
And ones with knobs work differently? Where's my roll eyes smiley?

OP
OP
dossier

dossier

Aug 23, 2011
PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Hands
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This community is awesome.. I looked up the eurotek pro very briefly and haven't come to a conclusion on it yet. First impression is I don't like the interface as much as the f2. But that's purely aesthetic value akin to "the big yellow box" heh, which I also wasn't a fan of. I'll def read/watch more about the eurotek pro compared to the f2. That'll purely be educational since I sorta jumped at a deal which included a bounty hunter pinpointer (37$ alone normally) for a total of $215. No tax or shipping cost. So I saved like 10% or $20ish. I don't like promoting where I got it unless people are really curious.. Just so I don't look like some promoter and BC I haven't received it yet.

Can't wait to use this thing. Also got some hori-hori knife with carbon steel (14$, wasn't ready to spend 40+ on true MD trow/knife). I read the only complaint (from a MD'er) is it wasn't very sharp. So I'll have a great reason to pull out the grinding wheel to make it super sharp.

We have some freshwater waterfront in upstate NY on a bay where if somebody loses a lurer while finishing a mile away it'll wind up on our beach.. So maybe there'll be other buried goodies further up where it's dry from years past. Also there was a formal civil war hospital/area a stone's throw away. First test will be in my back yard when it arrives wed/Thurs in Southeastern PA.

Last edited:

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This community is awesome.. I looked up the eurotek pro very briefly and haven't come to a conclusion on it yet. First impression is I don't like the interface as much as the f2. But that's purely aesthetic value akin to "the big yellow box" heh, which I also wasn't a fan of. I'll def read/watch more about the eurotek pro compared to the f2. That'll purely be educational since I sorta jumped at a deal which included a bounty hunter pinpointer (37$ alone normally) for a total of $215. No tax or shipping cost. So I saved like 10% or $20ish. I don't like promoting where I got it unless people are really curious.. Just so I don't look like some promoter and BC I haven't received it yet.

Can't wait to use this thing. Also got some hori-hori knife with carbon steel (14$, wasn't ready to spend 40+ on true MD trow/knife). I read the only complaint (from a MD'er) is it wasn't very sharp. So I'll have a great reason to pull out the grinding wheel to make it super sharp.

We have some freshwater waterfront in upstate NY on a bay where if somebody loses a lurer while finishing a mile away it'll wind up on our beach.. So maybe there'll be other buried goodies further up where it's dry from years past. Also there was a formal civil war hospital/area a stone's throw away. First test will be in my back yard when it arrives wed/Thurs in Southeastern PA.

Personally, I'd go with a two-coil package deal for the F2. It's a very versatile setup for a great price. CALL ONE OF THE SPONSORS ON THIS FORUM FOR A GREAT DEAL!

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That F2 package with the 4" and 8" coils plus the pinpointer is quite popular as it is a great value. :)

OP
OP
dossier

dossier

Aug 23, 2011
PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Hands
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the advice y'all. I know I'll kick myself later for not getting a 2coil package but since I'm such a beginner I think I should master one coil before I dive a Lil deeper. Sorta like when I bought a DSLR with only one lens. It def did everything I wanted it for so we'll see how this goes. I imagine I'll upgrade to a better device before I buy a 2nd coil :). If I like this hobby as much as I assume, it might not take too long to upgrade either.

Edit: came with a 4" coil too, wasn't in description when purchased :)

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread