Learned on Bounty Hunter Junior, then Tracker IV, and now using the Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing wrong with the F-2. Don't rely on video's from YouTube as a lot of them are faked as to what was found. Just like fishing video's they don't film till they get a bite. Things can be planted. You'll like the F-2

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes!!!! It is one of, if not the best machine in its price range. I've honestly dug 7 inch pennies in dirt that must have been no more than a mile away from the shore (hot ground). When I first got it, I thought its depth range was 4-5 inches on coins because that's where the deepest coins I was finding were. Boy, was I wrong! Give it some time an you'll see exactly what it can do.

Remember, detecting is 50% luck, 49% skill of the operator, and 1% machine.

Best of luck!
C4C

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Just ordered a fisher f2 literally. I'm wondering did I make a good decision? I saw a lot of YouTube videos people finding mercury dimes and gold with the f2. What are your opinions of the f2? Thanks a lot! :)

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Yea man the F2 has a great rep. I just got my first fisher and love it. What are your goals with the machine?

OP
OP
T

treasurehunter101

Jan 14, 2014
NY AREA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nothing wrong with the F-2. Don't rely on video's from YouTube as a lot of them are faked as to what was found. Just like fishing video's they don't film till they get a bite. Things can be planted. You'll like the F-2[/QUOTE

Thanks

OP
OP
T

treasurehunter101

Jan 14, 2014
NY AREA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes!!!! It is one of, if not the best machine in its price range. I've honestly dug 7 inch pennies in dirt that must have been no more than a mile away from the shore (hot ground). When I first got it, I thought its depth range was 4-5 inches on coins because that's where the deepest coins I was finding were. Boy, was I wrong! Give it some time an you'll see exactly what it can do. Remember, detecting is 50% luck, 49% skill of the operator, and 1% machine. Best of luck! C4C

Want do you set the detector on?

OP
OP
T

treasurehunter101

Jan 14, 2014
NY AREA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yea man the F2 has a great rep. I just got my first fisher and love it. What are your goals with the machine?

To find deep targets deep old coins and gold and silver coins and stuff :)

OP
OP
T

treasurehunter101

Jan 14, 2014
NY AREA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I want to find deep old coins and gold and silver and stuff :)

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Want do you set the detector on?

It really depends on the site, but usually I can run the machine on Max sensitivity. Most of the time, the unit is very stable even at this level, but don't panic If you get a little chatter. If I encounter an area with a very high concentration of trash, I might bump the sensitivity down a few notches, but you'd be surprised at how little (if any) depth I lose. 2 notches down only limits the depth by about an inch in air testing. As far as discrimination, I try to run it as low as possible, usually up to foil is the highest I run it. Although my air testing has shown that increasing discrimination does not affect the depth of the machine like it does in other units, it does affect it's speed. With minimum discrimination, you stand the best chance of not masking any good targets. Don't get me wrong, if you find yourself digging in a place that seems like an old trash dump, higher discrimination is certainly needed, but usually I am tell trash from treasure just by the consistency of the signal.

Remember, dig all consistent signals (except for maybe iron and foil). You will be surprised what you am find :)

Happy hunting!
C4C

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

treasurehunter101

Jan 14, 2014
NY AREA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It really depends on the site, but usually I can run the machine on Max sensitivity. Most of the time, the unit is very stable even at this level, but don't panic If you get a little chatter. If I encounter an area with a very high concentration of trash, I might bump the sensitivity down a few notches, but you'd be surprised at how little (if any) depth I lose. 2 notches down only limits the depth by about an inch in air testing. As far as discrimination, I try to run it as low as possible, usually up to foil is the highest I run it. Although my air testing has shown that increasing discrimination does not affect the depth of the machine like it does in other units, it does affect it's speed. With minimum discrimination, you stand the best chance of not masking any good targets. Don't get me wrong, if you find yourself digging in a place that seems like an old trash dump, higher discrimination is certainly needed, but usually I am tell trash from treasure just by the consistency of the signal. Remember, dig all consistent signals (except for maybe iron and foil). You will be surprised what you am find :) Happy hunting! C4C

Thanks!!!!! :)

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New machines are fun. I just get a kick even finding trash. I tumble a lot of my finds and they really surprise me. I remember my first silver and gold coin. Both were fairly shallow targets. One thing that will build up your confidence is to place a coin on the ground your going to hunt and run the coil over it a few times till you get your settings. I started off with a old Bounty Hunter pioneer 202. It found a lot of clad and jewelry in the park for me. Not to be a spoiler alert, but you will dig trash, if you dont walk over a target you will never find it. You may try keeping a running tally and just change your search habits and see what works best for you. Is there a small coil option for the F2? Small coils rock in the trashy parks.

OP
OP
T

treasurehunter101

Jan 14, 2014
NY AREA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
New machines are fun. I just get a kick even finding trash. I tumble a lot of my finds and they really surprise me. I remember my first silver and gold coin. Both were fairly shallow targets. One thing that will build up your confidence is to place a coin on the ground your going to hunt and run the coil over it a few times till you get your settings. I started off with a old Bounty Hunter pioneer 202. It found a lot of clad and jewelry in the park for me. Not to be a spoiler alert, but you will dig trash, if you dont walk over a target you will never find it. You may try keeping a running tally and just change your search habits and see what works best for you. Is there a small coil option for the F2? Small coils rock in the trashy parks.

Yup I bought the package for $215. It comes with f2 the Big coil afd the 4 sniper coil and a pinpointer

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally I run the small coil more than the large coil. The large coil can be overloaded easily, it also can rim a target and cause you dig a hole in the wrong spot if you dont pinpoint properly. If you spend a lot of time detecting, you may be better off to upgrade to a garret pro pointer or one of the new whites pin pointers. Now I use covers on everything I run. I hunt a lot and need to give my unit all the protection I can carry around. If you can set up a camera and video yourself doing a search. Look carefully at your swing technique. The coils work best when they are close to the ground and level. You will find lots of tips on the forum. Have fun.

OP
OP
T

treasurehunter101

Jan 14, 2014
NY AREA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks a lot :)

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just ordered a fisher f2 literally. I'm wondering did I make a good decision? I saw a lot of YouTube videos people finding mercury dimes and gold with the f2. What are your opinions of the f2? Thanks a lot! :)

Congrats on the F2, a friend of mine just bought hers and she loves it. I got a Eurotek Pro that was loaned to me and we did a comparison. Both are nice detectors, as someone said for the deep stuff maximum sensitivity possible. Get to know the machine well, don't rush off to buy a new one.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011

Did you make a good decision??!!
In my experience there is not many better ones.
Here are some of my greatest hits with the F2...
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/members/24888-albums3516.html

That white gold and 9 diamond ring you see in my avatar is one of those great finds.
Two different appraisals agreed that this is easily a $1299 ring new.

If you want coins that are deep you might be able to hit that mark with the 8" coil if your soil is good.
Mine can get to the 7-8" level in my great soil.

If you need more depth the DD coil is available and the 10" concentric is absolutely crazy cheap at the $50-$60 price point aftermarket.
That coil can maybe get you at least 2" or more in some cases.

Don't discount that sniper coil.
It is the very best coil to learn the F2 with starting out, and even though I found a huge amount of great things with the bigger coils I own I found way more with the sniper coil than both of them put together.
Old coins, silver and many pieces of gold.
The sniper is actually my main coil for the F2 and after I finally mounted it I rarely took it off.

PM me and I can point you in the direction of a ton of information about using this thing and what I did, how I learned and what I discovered along my 1000 hour journey with this great tool.

Last edited:

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
This is a great machine!! I've had several different machines, but I always keep this one near!! I have ran mine with the 4" sniper coil, 10" concentric and most recent the NEL Sharp Shooter DD coil, 9.5x 5.5" luv this set up!!

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use the F2 as my backup to the F5. I have more control over the F5, as the F2 is a "turn on and go" unit. I bought the same $215 set up. But my first choice was to buy the NEL SharpShooter DD coil for the F2. I can run full sensitivity, cover better area than the stock coil. The recovery speed of the F2 is fast and compliments the SS coil. And the SS is very stable (fewer ghost signals, EMI). For the investment, this set up rivals anything in the $200-$300 range, IMO. Including the Aces and Tesoro's.

Update: I had to remove the comment that the NEL SS is deeper than the stock coil. It IS all of what is said, but is not deeper (at least for me). I have had the NEL out a few times and it did well. But today, I took more time with the coil and though it does have a better (DD) coverage in swing, it actually loses an inch or so over the stock concentric sweet spot. Just wanted to clarify.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread