Jan 24, 2012
South-Western PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75

Teknetics Omega 8000

Bounty Hunter Quickdraw II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm looking at purchasing one of these 2 machines, I can just determine which one? I'm liking the F4 because of its simplicity and DD coil, but I'm interested in the detector with the better depth. Believe it or not, I can't find a video showing air tests between the 2. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Air tests aren't worth crap. I never seen a coin floating in the air. As for depth, they are the same with the same size coil.

OP
OP
E

elijahhenry10

Jan 24, 2012
South-Western PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75

Teknetics Omega 8000

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So if they get the same depth, to me it would make more sense to get the F4 with the DD coil. The only advantage I see to the F5 is the Phase Lock.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is how they get us to buy more metal detectors.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
This is how they get us to buy more metal detectors.
They sure know how to do that.... These treasure web sites helps them sell more detectors also....... As soon as some see that some one said my xxxx detector gets 10 inch on a dime......... They say oh i have got to have that detector.............

OP
OP
E

elijahhenry10

Jan 24, 2012
South-Western PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75

Teknetics Omega 8000

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
At this point I'd love to get 5 inches on a dime. I can't make up my dang mind on what kind of detector to buy, and I'm stuck with a Bounty Hunter until I do. I'd love to find a used F70 or Omega 8000 for sale, but I'm not having much luck with that.

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

F2 Hunter 28146

May 22, 2013
Rockwell, NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 "Limited" CAMO - Fisher F5 (with Standard Coil) - Fisher F2 (10" coil) - & a Radio Shack "Treasure Finder" Metal Detector!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What were you looking to buy off of ebay the other day? I purchased my F5 off their a few weeks ago for $355. :hello2:

It came with: Fisher F5 (plug type)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett Head Phones
F5 Rain Cover

I have (2) F2's and the (1) F5. I actually enjoy my F2's mainly because of how simple they are to use (...and the fact that the F2's have automatic ground balance). The F5 can be a bear sometimes trying to get it fine tuned on ground, picking a good frequency, finding the right threshold, etc.

The F2 you just turn on... Notch out whatever... and go!

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

elijahhenry10

Jan 24, 2012
South-Western PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75

Teknetics Omega 8000

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That sounds like a pretty good deal. I ended up buying a used Omega 8000, and I am now looking at a used F75. I just can't make myself decide what to do yet.

F2 Hunter 28146

May 22, 2013
Rockwell, NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 "Limited" CAMO - Fisher F5 (with Standard Coil) - Fisher F2 (10" coil) - & a Radio Shack "Treasure Finder" Metal Detector!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been seeing on EBAY people selling Fisher F70's. Last one I saw went for $390 and it looked practically brand new (even the box it came in looked new). I about passed out. It was 1 day after I got my Fisher F5.

OP
OP
E

elijahhenry10

Jan 24, 2012
South-Western PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75

Teknetics Omega 8000

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I thought about trying to trade my Omega for an F70, but if I buy an F75, there's no use in having a F70 also.

Ausgoldhunter

Mar 2, 2013
Batemans Bay
Detector(s) used
Currently: White's GMT, Fisher Gold Bug 2. Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Fisher Gold Bug SE, Fisher F70, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab X-Terra 705, Minelab Eureka Gold, Whites GMZ, Minelab GP Extreme, GP 3000, Mine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
F5 its just better..

F2 Hunter 28146

May 22, 2013
Rockwell, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
F5 its just better..

Yeah... but why you have a F70 in your list of Metal Detectors and not a F5 if they are better?

( White's GMT, Fisher Gold Bug 2. Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Fisher Gold Bug SE, Fisher F70, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab X-Terra 705, Minelab Eureka Gold, Whites GMZ, Minelab GP Extreme)

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The F5 is better than the F4 and the F70 is better than the F5.

As I understand it, the F4 is basically an F2 with access to more adjustments. There are posts of people trying to add the missing F4 parts to their F2, the circuit boards are the same I assume.

With that said, the F4 costs more than the F2, the F5 costs more than the F4, and the F70 costs more than the F5.

Define better.....

OP
OP
E

elijahhenry10

Jan 24, 2012
South-Western PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75

Teknetics Omega 8000

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And the F75 is more expensive than the F70, which I would assume makes it better. Or, at least, that's what they want us to think...

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I figure it, the F2 is $200.

The F4 is $100 more with a $100 coil upgrade making it $400 and deeper.

The F5 is $100 more than that and deeper as I have an F2 and F5.

The F70 is $150 more than that and deeper as I have an F70.

Where does it stop? Used is a great deal if you're comfortable with the idea. I've bought two of my detectors for 1/2-2/3 of the online new price.

A final comment, a thought I carry from a long time ago, "sometimes the hardest thing to do is nothing", stay with the Omega for now.

Call a few dealers like the sponsors here, I'm sure they have some used/demos. Join a club and swing a few other detectors, even ones you haven't considered...

Good luck!

OP
OP
E

elijahhenry10

Jan 24, 2012
South-Western PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75

Teknetics Omega 8000

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would love to join a club, but the closest one is a 3.5 hr drive on the other side of the state. For the deal I'm getting on an F75, I can't pass it up. I just have no confidence in my Omega. When it failed to pick up a silver dime at 6", I just wasn't comfortable anymore. Oh well, it's a never ending thing with me. I'll just keep wanting to upgrade until I have the best.

Ausgoldhunter

Mar 2, 2013
Batemans Bay
Detector(s) used
Currently: White's GMT, Fisher Gold Bug 2. Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Fisher Gold Bug SE, Fisher F70, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab X-Terra 705, Minelab Eureka Gold, Whites GMZ, Minelab GP Extreme, GP 3000, Mine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah... but why you have a F70 in your list of Metal Detectors and not a F5 if they are better?

( White's GMT, Fisher Gold Bug 2. Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Fisher Gold Bug SE, Fisher F70, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab X-Terra 705, Minelab Eureka Gold, Whites GMZ, Minelab GP Extreme)

My answer is in regards to which of the 2 detectors are in my opinion better. Having used the F4 and F5 I found the F5 to be a more stable detector, its higher frequency allowed me to hit on a smaller target, as well as larger targets at depth.
Added the ability to make fine adjustments, Frequency shift is fantastic when you're hunting urban areas and EMI is a problem.. I wish more of the higher end detectors had this feature..

Keep in mind, when someone like me says: A is better than B.. Generally we're not saying (A is awesome, and B is a steaming pile of crap) .. More that A has an edge, over B... I was just being lazy :)

As to why i have the F70, and not the F5.. The F70 was a gift, and has never been out of the box.. My F5 was sold after my Gold Bug Pro purchase as I am a fan of higher frequency detectors, and don't do much if any coin/relic hunting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread