Fisher F70

IBdiggin

Mar 21, 2013
Central Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70,Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250, 2 Garrett pro-pointers
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Jerry. I have an F70 with a 10" concentric coil. Been swingin it for about 6 months. Of all the guys I talk to with the F70 they either love them or hate them. Doesn't seem to be many in between. I happen to really like them as I have found them to be very deep depending on ground conditions. One of the fastest recovery units out there in the medium price range and very hot. So hot in fact that is part of the reason many people don't like them. Ground balance works well and is a must for a hunt-it-all detector. I passed up the F5 when I found this F70 at a dealer like new once owned by a friend of his who could not comprehend the learning curve. Personally I don't think the learning curve is any harder than any other totally adjustable unit with sensitivity and threshold adjustability controls. This thing has so much power that in extremely trashy site you can run sensitivity as low as 35 and threshold at -3 and still find quarters at 4" deep if it is wet ground. I usually run at 65 sensitivity and 0 threshold in clean areas. Dimes at 8" are not uncommon and quarter at 10" in a perfect world. The F70 will do lots of falsing if run too hot but I have learned to tell the difference between false signals from iron and the good tones and prefer to run my unit a little chatty unless conditions are horrible. I like delta pitch in tones selection as that setting gives a different tone for each metal type for more of an audio hunt but still can refer to the display if needed. You also have 3 and 4 tone selections and also high nickel tone selections. The F70 also has two different modes so you can use them sort of like custom preset programs. I use one in all tone mode which is similar to all medal mode in other units for ground balancing then switch over to discrimination mode for most hunts. I hope the info helps to answer some of your questions. There are probably some with more experience than I who could tell you more about the F70 over at findmill. HH and good luck --Larry

ClodChopper

Mar 6, 2013
Oakland Co. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fischer F70
Garrett ACE 350
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Raven model 25 and other hacking tools
1part piss / 3 parts vinegar
30 round mags
God Bless America!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been using my F70 for about 6 months. I cut my teeth on this unit. I agree with all the reviews that say 'its a love hate relationship'. You like it, or you don't. There is nobody in the middle.

I LOVE my F70. But...you need to learn how to use it.

Its NOT a 'silent search' unit. If your not getting some chatter, your missing stuff. Do NOT dial it down! Crank it UP, as high as you can!! If your in a place where you NEED to dial back, use head phones. I never run below s82 t+5. Make small adjustments....Sens(+- )1 or 2. Adjust T (+-) based upon signal, but keep T high. Its my opinion, you get better depth with a high T than high S.

Also, learn to use sound setting 'dp'. The sound feedback is what makes the F70 so powerful. When you understand the feedback, you can sweep a trashy area without digging crap! In fact, I never look at my display until I hear the right 'sound'. It is an under rated feature, but the most powerful you have.

I could go on for hours about the F70. I love it. I can and do, dig small objects at 14". The better you are at using it, the higher you can crank it. Its a HOT unit. I love my F70.

IBdiggin

Mar 21, 2013
Central Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70,Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250, 2 Garrett pro-pointers
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh! and did we mention that 4 AA batteries last an insane amount of time? I pop my rechargeables into the charger about every 2 weeks and the meter never gets off of full charge.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread