Fisher F75 and Red Dirt

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher F75, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow I have been detecting for 6+/- years and never had the chance to detected on red dirt. I don't know if it's normal, if it happens to the F75 only or to other detectors too but I can only swing the coil no closer than 1-2" to the ground. If I put the coil on the ground it gives the overload signal. I had the stock 11" DD coil on that day so I don't know if it will happen to the other small coil I have but this is insane. I've heard people talking about how bad it is to hunt in red dirt but this has really left me some what clueless. Anyone with the same expirience?

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I assume it won't ground balance? What's your ground balance # if you get it balanced?

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I use the cousin F70 and three coils...the 10" elliptical concentric, a 5" DD and the 11"DD.
I also live in Birmingham Ala. with some black dirt that is still pretty mineralized plus most areas have that red dirt/clay plus a ton of extra iron from microscopic nodules infused into most of the soil to tiny nails and much larger pieces most everywhere.
At no time with any coil in any site including the worst where I GB into the 80's with the dirt meter bars pegged I have never experienced what you have described.

Here my biggest problem is not so much lack of depth which I used to think we could not penetrate very far due to the mineralization but more of understanding target behavior when they are any further than just shallow.
That behavior changes radically on the deeper ones and can skew all readings into strange and almost unrecognizable directions.
I say almost...with a lot of work and experimenting I have broken the code on a lot of that and so far have succeeded in digging good targets at about the 8-9" level so far in the worst if this devil dirt...and I am proud of that.

The dirt here also can change wildly almost every 10 feet, I can get many different GB readings as I move around sites.
The only time I ever get overload signals at any time us when I am over large targets that can cause that behavior or sometimes a few smaller ones on the surface right next to the coil.

At no time, however, have I never been able to put the coil flat on the ground anywhere at any time even with maxed out gain and thresh so something is either wrong with your equipment or that soil you are hunting in is way different than anything I have experience in.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheCaribbeanDigger

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It balances between 83-88

OP
OP
TheCaribbeanDigger

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never expirienced anything like that. This red dirt has iron in it also. Not even on the beach I have seen this unusual behavior. It does ground balance between 83-88. I also have a Fisher GBP that later I'll be testing it out to see if it behaves the same.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never expirienced anything like that. This red dirt has iron in it also. Not even on the beach I have seen this unusual behavior. It does ground balance between 83-88. I also have a Fisher GBP that later I'll be testing it out to see if it behaves the same.

Im stumped.

If its ground balancing, it shouldnt be overloading.

Interesting. ..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread