Fisher FX-3 Ferro probe has anyone ever used

lamarc

Dec 8, 2005
Central Ms.
Detector(s) used
TEK T2 se
one for finding civil war artillery shells, or any other kind of Mag for this purpose. I have been digging artillery shells for 41 years now but the detectors have reached there limit on these deep shells, an I have the top of the line equipment. For instance a 100 lb parrot shell 6.4 inches in 'dia' and about 14 inches tall or a 9 inch navy ball, what would be the depth a magnetometer would pick them up. These shell are running about 4-5 foot deep now. I was thinking a Fisher FX-3 too see if would go down an touch them. Thanks for you input

chipveres

Jul 9, 2007
Hollywood, Florida
This is a suggestion based on experience with two homemade mags. The bare mag will give depth performance similar to a metal detector. To get the deep performance the manufacturers brag about, you need to record the readings and plot them on a site map. Then you can draw in lines of equal magnetism (isomags?) and visualise the deep structure. Ease of doing this comes with price. Cheapest would be a Shonstedt or Quantrosensing with digital readout and paper and pencil. Better units (Geomagnetics?) come with built-in DGPS and computer storage, but they also come with a $20,000 price.

HH

Chip V.

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
What I would do is find a dealer who sells magnawands(price-$750?). Before I bought it I would take it out in the parking lot to see if it could detect a cannonball at 5 or 6 feet and ID it as such. What makes this mag different is that it can distinuish iron which has depth(cannonballs should be good) from horizontal iron trash. Mags go really deep with iron that has shape.

http://www.magnawand.com/Instructions.html

George

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread