limegoldconvertible68

Mar 18, 2009
Illiniois
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 11"DD coil, CZ-21 with 10" coil, Fisher 1265X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: My First Big Hunt With The F70

I love how you wrap the control box. I couldn't understand the headphone plug in being at the butt end of the machine but now I see this is a perfect machine for hunting in the rain. Its even easy to work the buttons wrapped like that. I am supposed to have rain all weekend and thought I wouldn't be able to get out. Time to rethink my hunting schedule.

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Mojave.
Re: My First Big Hunt With The F70

Badger - Glad to see you out and about with that F70! I've been doing a lot of hunting lately and less posting - but I've got a few nice F70 finds to post soon. I am nursing my wounds today, on a recent hunt, I had a face to face encounter with whiplashed wicked thorn bush and basically shredded me from forhead to chin!!! YEOUCH!!! Neosporin anyone? Looks like a cat got to my face!

I agree that the F70 is deeper and much better at discrimination than the T. I also completely agree that F70 is not for a beginner. It would be frustrating if you don't understand how a detector is supposed to operate first. For instance, how would you even realize that fast grab ground balance is off - if you have never precisely manually ground balanced a few machines before? It is kind of like you need to use a couple of old time machines before you can successfully use this automatic electronic whiz . . . funny.

I have noticed that the fast grab balance is a bit difficult at times. With mine it will go from 70 - 72 and then all of the sudden drop to 45 or so and stay there? Sometimes I can't get it precise so I just say screw it and hunt. Apart from the little bit of extra chatter, it still gets the same depth - like you said. With the Sunray probe I sometimes turn on probe and balance with the probe and it's easier to find clean ground.

One tip that I'm slowly learning on the machine. 2F tones is great - fantastic even, but there is a problem. 2F reads all VDI's up to 15 as iron or low tone. So even if you are running disc 6 - you are basically still blocking out up to 15 - or at least you're getting the low tone from 6-15. So if you get a masked coin, VDI may read 58 in one direction, but drop or false at like 12 in the other direction giving you what sounds like a broken signal, which you may not dig. If you are disciplined, this won't throw you off. If you are like me and get lazy a bit later in a hunt, you might start skipping these. Running 1 tone really works good in those situations.

Yes - cover that dang control box. That thing is ridiculously thin. One drop of a digger and it could pierce the screen! I can't beleive that they used such lightweight plastic!! Well, the machine is feather light - so it figures,

Badger - one more thing - be mindful of the tightness of your coil bolt - on both of my machines they tend to work themselves loose. I'm not sure if it's they way I hunt or if it's a design defect. I've lost 2 in the woods so far and they are like $6 to replace!

Ian

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread