Fisherman Says He Saw Bigfoot Bathing ... And He Sent Us A Picture!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Fisherman Says He Saw Bigfoot Bathing ... And He Sent Us A Picture!

Posted: 01/03/2015 10:52 am EST Updated: 01/03/2015 11:59 am EST

o-TAMPASKUNKAPE-570.jpg

One occupational hazard of reporting on unexplained phenomena: You can always count on waking up in the morning to find an email from someone swearing that they've just seen Bigfoot, the Loch Ness Monster, a hybrid human alien or a UFO on the moon.

2015 began with a photo from John Rodriguez, a 66-year-old retired electrician, who claims that he was fishing Dec. 26 on the Hillsborough River near northeast Tampa, Florida, and came upon an incredible sight.

"I fish for gar in the river and I bring my camera to take pictures of the birds and what not. I heard a squishing sound, looked over and saw this thing walking through the water and crouch down in the duck weed. It did not look like a guy in a suit -- it was definitely an animal. I took this picture and got out of there as fast as I could."

Here's the image that Rodriguez sent to HuffPost:

o-TAMPABIGFOOTORIGINAL-570.jpg

Rodriguez claims to have seen and photographed -- in a completely clear and non-blurry moment -- that tall, hairy, elusive creature often reported in North America and other parts of the world that goes by many names: Bigfoot, Sasquatch, Yeti. In Florida, it's known as the Swamp Ape or Skunk Ape (primarily from descriptions of an extremely pungent odor it supposedly gives off).

"I've heard of Skunk Ape prints around Green Swamp [in Florida], but never anything like this," Rodriguez told HuffPost in an email. "My whole life, never seen anything like it."

Of course, the fact that the photo looks a little too crisp at some points, made us suspect it to be a fraud. Just look at the jagged line between the hairy beast and the water. That could be the work of a novice who just downloaded Photoshop for the first time.

However, we've got some time to kill. And doesn't this man deserve to be taken at his word? After all, wouldn't finding Bigfoot be a great way to kick off 2015?

Rodriguez said he snapped the picture in the early afternoon at an area where the Hillsborough River becomes a cypress swamp. The map below shows a small section of the 59-mile-long river that flows through Florida, filled with wildlife preserves that include many not-so-friendly creatures, such as alligators, known to jump into canoes and attack unsuspecting humans.

o-HILLSBOROUGHRIVER-570.jpg

So, what are we to make of this fantastic tale? Did Rodriguez take the clearest, most definitive picture to date of Bigfoot?

Not so fast, according to Ben Hansen, lead investigator of the Syfy Channel's "Fact or Faked: Paranormal Files" series.

"It's a relief to finally have a clear picture of the creature," Hansen, a former FBI agent, told HuffPost. "Every other photo and video we get is usually too blurry or the Bigfoot too obscured in brush to allow for any useful identification. Thanks to the clear photo, I'm excited to announce that the photographer has captured a real-life... gorilla in a Bigfoot suit!"

"To be more precise, the face of a gorilla that has been digitally added to the photo with editing software. Although I originally suspected the creature suit was actually in the water when the photo was taken, I started to notice shadows in front of the Bigfoot that appeared to be an inconsistent length and shape with the rest of the photo."

"Additionally, there appears to be some heavy digital editing touch-up to the fur around the face and where the body meets the water. I'm now leaning more toward believing the whole creature was pasted into the image and then branches and twigs were added in the foreground. The branches also could have really been in the scene, but they were later edited as separate layers so Bigfoot looks like he's now behind them, sitting in deep contemplation."

Digital photographs use a format called EXIF data, which stores a lot of accessible information within each image -- like shutter speed, if a flash was used, date and time of the image, etc. Hansen pointed out that the EXIF information of the Florida swamp creature picture suggests the image was digitally created on Dec. 26 with Photoshop.

Since those details are extremely important when trying to research unexplained phenomena images, we asked Rodriguez about this.

"I did not Photoshop this at all. Believe me or not," Rodriguez said. "When I plug in my memory card, it asks to import and opens in Photoshop. I just changed the name and saved. It seems like people get publicly crucified for coming forward with this kind of stuff."

Rodriguez also said this debunking attitude is what caused him to initially hesitate sending the original picture to HuffPost.

A March 2014 smithsonian.com story about the search for Florida's Skunk Ape pointed out the following:

The belief in mythological animals might be as old as humanity itself. Nearly every culture's folklore contains at least one imagined creature in its folklore that has no place in modern science.

It's easy to imagine how, in the days when much of the planet had yet to be explored and catalogued, you might have reasonably believed in the existence of any of these beasts. But in the present day, when every square mile of the earth's surface has been photographed by satellites, and scientists have identified 1.3 million species (with mostly plants, tiny animals and microbes remaining to be found), how could you still believe in a lumbering, seven-foot-tall ape, hiding out in one of the most well-studied countries on the planet?

When dealing with reports and discussions about things like Bigfoot, UFOs, lake monsters, ghosts, etc., there's always a fine line walked by those who make the claims and the skeptics or outright debunkers who do their best to make the stories go away.

In the most literal sense, that's the nature of the beast -- especially where large, hairy creatures are involved.

Hansen brings up another item about this current alleged Skunk Ape sighting near Tampa.

"The white stripe down the middle of the head and chin is a nice touch. If it's a Skunk Ape, why not make it look like a skunk, right? In reality, I have yet to come across a story with any merit where witnesses describe the Skunk Ape with an actual white stripe like a skunk."

Par for the course, these stories produce strong opposing points of view. And still, one clear photograph of something that may or may not be a real Bigfoot is not definitive proof that the creature exists, the way DNA evidence -- or an actual body -- would be.

We still, apparently, don't have either of those things yet.

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah im sure he saw bigfoot taking a bath. Here comes fiding bigfoot things are getting squatchy around here :laughing7:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny ! All the time we here the words, "If they exist why hasn't anyone gotten a clear crisp
Picture ? They are always too Blurry to ID" :laughing7:

Now someone supposedly gets a clear crisp pic with a Digital Camera

and we hear from a former FBI agent :tongue3: no less
(are former FBI agents, Like Former Nave Seals ? & CIA ? everyone with
a need for attention clams to be one )

anyway he says ....

"Of course, the fact that the photo looks a little too crisp at some points, made us suspect it to be a fraud. Just look at the jagged line between the hairy beast and the water. That could be the work of a novice who just downloaded Photoshop for the first time."

If it is a fraud he copied that image from somewhere,
most likely on the net.
and somere there will be another pic with the same forehead hair pattern

o-TAMPASKUNKAPE-570.jpg

Produce the image of that exact face.

I'm sure Camera EXIF data can be in error

Last edited:

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is that not the one from
Trading Places with Dan Akroyd an Eddie Murphy ?

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL, I was gonna yell for Gollum, he on the wrong side of the country! LOL! :laughing7:

Google image search, Jeff. I haven't been able to totally figure it out yet. :icon_scratch:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ape escaped from Busch Gardens, near Tampa...

May be :dontknow:

it actually looks fake to me

at some of these spots it looks like a 2 piece suit on the left
(Mask & hood.)

at others it looks Edited (Lines are too Straight) top & bottom.

But I've never been face to face with Gorillas or Skunk apes.

and is the picture the original ? or supplied by someone other then the fisherman ?

o-TAMPASKUNKAPE-570.jpg

But I still hate when people complain pics are too blurry,
then complain pics are too sharp when they get some :laughing7:

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been down that river many times... mostly when I was young.
It would be very hard for something like that to go "unnoticed" prior to now.
There are people everywhere around there... even at night people are on that river fishing etc.
Someone else would have seen it by now.
IF it is something real... it is gorilla or something that escaped from Busch Gardens.

Oh and one more thing... we actually did have a monkey that was loose forever... sighted all over the place... they tried to catch it for over ayear I think.
But it was spotted by thousands... and it was 3 feet tall and big as a medium dog.
point being that if it were real... it would have been spotted.

I personally think it is a cardboard cutout that someone got outta the back room at Busch Gardens

Last edited:

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been down that river many times... mostly when I was young.
It would be very hard for something like that to go "unnoticed" prior to now.
There are people everywhere around there... even at night people are on that river fishing etc.
Someone else would have seen it by now.
IF it is something real... it is gorilla or something that escaped from Busch Gardens.

Oh and one more thing... we actually did have a monkey that was loose forever... sighted all over the place... they tried to catch it for over ayear I think.
But it was spotted by thousands... and it was 3 feet tall and big as a medium dog.
point being that if it were real... it would have been spotted.

I personally think it is a cardboard cutout that someone got outta the back room at Busch Gardens

.....uuuuuummmmmmm, hate to break the news to you ARRC, but the Skunk Ape HAS been spotted hundreds of times. There are thousands of sightings of Bigfoot around the country. There are hair samples that are still sitting in labs unable to have been identified even though they were compared to a database of tens of millions of known samples. Plaster cast footprints showing dermal ridges (the foot version of fingerprints). Many of the plaster casts show the individual toes interacting with the ground. Vocalizations that have been compared to millions of known animal vocalizations, and no match has been found. Many of those vocalizations included sounds made by something outside the range of humans.

There are known Bigfoot sightings in the San Gabriel Mountains in Southern California. MANY people scoff at the thought of an unknown species of Ape or whatever that close to Los Angeles. Think if something wanted to stay hidden from people somewhere in this picture that they couldn't do it?

IMG_0167.JPG

That is a shot of one small section of the San Gabriel Mountains just a few miles North of Los Angeles.

Same thing with Washington State:

Wild_Sky_Wilderness_Area.jpg

Oregon?

oregon.jpg

My point being that there are millions of square miles of VERY remote wilderness in this country. If something as intelligent as I believe BF is wants to stay hidden, it can do that for the most part. Thousands of people see them, mostly by accident.

This is from a camping trip in the Northern Sierra Nevada Mountains/Stanislaus National Forest:

oae4.jpg

While camping, I watched while something slowly swayed back and forth behind a large tree in the middle of the night. The moon was very bright, but I can't say what it was. I know what I want it to be, but I will never say I saw something unless there is ZERO doubt in my mind as to what I saw. What I did find the next day were some tracks on the dry ground. I didn't have anything to cast what I found, but I got pics:

ii7o.jpg q6wj.jpg

Since most of the ground was covered in a very thick blanket of pine straw and leaves, there were only a few tracks easily defined. The first one was from a steep slope, and whatever it was moved on the balls of its feet (only the front of the foot made a print). The ball of the foot and toes are very distinct. I wear a size 12.5 shoe, and that print is about 2.5 times the width of my foot (and I don't have a narrow foot).

PAT-TEKKER-CAT,

Don't think I didn't see your post! HAHAHA I honestly don't care about getting a good pic of one (the money from it would be nice). All I want is to get an up close and personal. See one in daylight from 5 or 10 feet away. All I want is to satisfy myself 100% that I saw one.

Mike

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Gollum.seen one and it sure didn't look like a photoshopped gorilla pic. Just keep an open mind, but understand. I don't know what we saw, but until real scientific proof emerges, I take it all with a grain of salt...

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You guys believe in the tooth fairy and ghost's too.... ? LOL
We all know bigfoots are only in the NW part of the USA LOL

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 2 co-workers that saw a skunk ape within a 2 mile radius just across the state border in north Fl. An old timer in the same area claims he saw it numerous times and acted like it was no big deal. Lol!

shinjak

Greenie
Nov 8, 2012
Taylorsville, NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a believer in the possibility that a creature like bigfoot could exist in the US. However, this is not a picture of that creature. The eyes are very captivating and initially caught my interest. But don't you think they would be looking at the camera instead of in another direction? Especially if the fisherman was the only person around. Also, it looks way to calm and serene, bath or not. :) It looks very much like a gorilla from an exhibit, glassy eyes and all. At best this is a professionally done "stuffed" gorilla sitting in a swamp. At worst it is a photshopped image of an exhibit gorilla made to look like it is sitting in the swamp.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't get me wrong. This is a fake suit. Look at a pic of a real gorilla:

gorilla.jpg

Look at the hairline around the face, then look at this thing:

o-TAMPASKUNKAPE-570.jpg

Not even close. On the real animal, you can see where the hairs enter the skin. On the fake, the hairline starts where you can't see it, and comes around. This means the artificial hair was added to a rubber mask. The hair itself looks EXTREMELY artificial as well.

Mike

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 1102447

View attachment 1102448

Not even close. On the real animal, you can see where the hairs enter the skin. On the fake, the hairline starts where you can't see it, and comes around. This means the artificial hair was added to a rubber mask. The hair itself looks EXTREMELY artificial as well.

Mike

I agree not a Gorilla ! However how much different does Big Foot / skunk apes look from as Gorilla ?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wait a minute !

is that some Moron Spring Breaker Mooning the Camera ?

lll.jpg

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007

View attachment 1102447

View attachment 1102448

Mike

ALSO, look at water of swamp... NO disturbance/ripple effect.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...also, if the thing was ACTUALLY bathing in this water, it would be completely covered in the Duckweed that is floating all around it. Somebody put this suit on, then slowly sat down in the water. I am from Louisiana, and have spent a lot of time in the swamps. When you get up from water that is covered in Duckweed, you are covered too.

665955020-nutria-myocastor-coypus-wild.jpg

Mike

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is the critter from Boggy Creek

Top Member Reactions