Fishing lures

Moonrover

Jul 17, 2012
Cambridge, MA
Primary Interest:
Other
When found, do you guys check for possible antique value of fishing lures? Here is a web page that I found when trying to see if the lures in a pre-1940 tackle box are collectable. Not found by metal detecting, by the way.

http://www.antiquelures.com/Prices.htm

Of course collectors like to have the original sales boxes which then draws big bucks sometimes. Not possible with lures found underwater. Prices for antique lures in good condition are shocking.

M

Upvote 0

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I don't ever check to see if they have any real value. I fish and I know the cost of most lures I find, the ones I like I keep the other several hundred go to the fishing flea market. I sell them between 1 and 3 bucks. It really adds up fast and I never come home with any.We have a big surf fishing group up and down NJ and it not uncommon to see 50 to 100 people fishing in a 5 mile stretch of beach during a 6 hr hunt.During the striped bass season its not even posible to hunt some beaches as they are 20 ft apart all day and night. During hunting season Oct to Mar I have to keep a light always on at night to avoid getting run over by all the trucks chasing fish. Fresh drop season they can drive on the beach.
BCNJ

OP
OP
Moonrover

Moonrover

Jul 17, 2012
Cambridge, MA
Primary Interest:
Other
I now see another danger to beach/surf detecting. Getting snared by rabid surf fishermen. I've had my share of fish hooks in the old hide just being around bait casters in a boat.

When you mentioned guys chasing fish with a pickup truck <wink> the picture I get is ... those guys have some serious issues. <lol>

M

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
alot of guys I knew/know -throw found lures out - if your not gonna save them in a finds box/bucket or use them yourself - I used to clean good ones up and put new hooks on them and either use them myself or sell them
-alot are brass and at very least save them in a scrap bucket
but I have seen some real oldies found in fresh water spots that guys got good money for cause way back when before they were machine made - many were made by guys by hand and can be works of art and one of a kinds - some of those can sell for big bucks
I have hundreds in a large container - figure when I retire - I'll clean all and re hook them and sell them along with my 1000+ sinkers

OP
OP
Moonrover

Moonrover

Jul 17, 2012
Cambridge, MA
Primary Interest:
Other
Casper ... The fishing lure restoration thing gives me a spark of an idea for a profit producing hobby that could fit into my lifestyle. Doesn't take up much space either. A plus for full time retired RV travelers.

M

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread