Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dug about four targets in an hour in the field that has been so good to me since discovering it in January. Dug around 20 seated silvers this year and all but two came from this field. Finds have slowed way down here but Ive continued to stick with it and make a good find once in awhile. This is my third CC dime and second from here. Half of all the seated dug from here have been 1876 or 1877 as well. I will probably never again find a spot so loaded with 19th century coinage

Attachments

• IMG_0508.JPG
    IMG_0508.JPG
    414.8 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_0510.JPG
    IMG_0510.JPG
    361.1 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_0511.JPG
    IMG_0511.JPG
    440.1 KB · Views: 128
Upvote 17

Murray8144

Aug 20, 2015
Essex County, NJ
Detector(s) used
eTrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The seated field gave it up every day at first...now it takes hard work and a little luck. Kinda like my wife.

OP
OP
toasted

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The seated field gave it up every day at first...now it takes hard work and a little luck. Kinda like my wife.

Wish I could get that field drunk to increase my chances

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi toasted; The best way to clean off the grey oxidation is as follows ok:
Take a square piece of tin foil. Use the shiny side toward the coin. Form a small cup to put the coin in.Fold up the sides of the foil. Then pour table salt into the pouch you made. Set the coin in it. Then pour CLEAR Vinegar in the pouch making sure to cover the coin completely. Then pour more salt on top of the coin completely. Fold the foil down over the coin so it actually touches the coin. Wait about 20 - 30 minutes and open it up. You will see the grey is gone except for a few small spots. Use a toothpick to GENTLY push off the remaining dirt. Rinse the coin and pat dry. If there is some small grey left just repeat the steps above. I guarantee you THAT will remove ALL of the grey. Make sure to use fresh tin foil each time ok. DO NOT use the same piece of foil because weirdly the process will reverse itself and put the grey back on and I promise you will "NEVER" get that grey off ever again ok. Slow and steady does it. Good Luck. It works on ALL silver coins without harming the Patina or scratching them ok. Nice Find. PEACE:RONB

PS: Morton Salt works the best ok. Yup, I've tried them all.:icon_thumright:

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lovely find!

But, are you telling us.....that this field is now....."empty"??????? LOL

OP
OP
toasted

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A lovely find!

But, are you telling us.....that this field is now....."empty"??????? LOL

As far as detectable nonferrous. Pretty much but I can always use the excercise

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As far as detectable nonferrous. Pretty much but I can always use the excercise
This is not a knock on the Deus, by far. But have you detected the site with another detector? Preferably a multi frequency detector.

OP
OP
toasted

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is not a knock on the Deus, by far. But have you detected the site with another detector? Preferably a multi frequency detector.

Its been detected with AT Pro and Deus primarily but other detectors have been used including an ETrac but only limited use.

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
DETECTORS: XP Deus WS-4, Garrett AT Pro and Pro-Pointer, Fisher CZ-5
TOOLS: Piranha shovel & R85 Military digger, both by Predator Tools
ATTIRE: Red Head brand Knee-High Waterproof Snake Boots
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
really nice seated. do what barker says to get the oxidation off. the man is a true master. his advice will never fail you!

OP
OP
toasted

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi toasted; The best way to clean off the grey oxidation is as follows ok:
Take a square piece of tin foil. Use the shiny side toward the coin. Form a small cup to put the coin in.Fold up the sides of the foil. Then pour table salt into the pouch you made. Set the coin in it. Then pour CLEAR Vinegar in the pouch making sure to cover the coin completely. Then pour more salt on top of the coin completely. Fold the foil down over the coin so it actually touches the coin. Wait about 20 - 30 minutes and open it up. You will see the grey is gone except for a few small spots. Use a toothpick to GENTLY push off the remaining dirt. Rinse the coin and pat dry. If there is some small grey left just repeat the steps above. I guarantee you THAT will remove ALL of the grey. Make sure to use fresh tin foil each time ok. DO NOT use the same piece of foil because weirdly the process will reverse itself and put the grey back on and I promise you will "NEVER" get that grey off ever again ok. Slow and steady does it. Good Luck. It works on ALL silver coins without harming the Patina or scratching them ok. Nice Find. PEACE:RONB

PS: Morton Salt works the best ok. Yup, I've tried them all.:icon_thumright:

really nice seated. do what barker says to get the oxidation off. the man is a true master. his advice will never fail you!

Most of the old seated silvers from this field have this stubborn and uneven dark patina on them. I have tried various cleaning methods including just trying the one mentioned. All with little results

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on the seated! :occasion14: I Bet there is more of those "little guy's" hiding in that field! :icon_thumright:

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the incredible amount of seated's you've found there!!

-- Jeff --

OP
OP
toasted

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on the seated! :occasion14: I Bet there is more of those "little guy's" hiding in that field! :icon_thumright:

Thanks. I will say that if nothing else it shows just how hard seated half dimes, quarters and halves are to find. A field that had tons of traffic in the 1870s-80s with 15 seated dimes so far but only 1 half dime, 2 quarters and 1 half. It is also interesting that I found around one hundred indians but not one large cent. Clearly, large cents did not circulate long after their production ceased

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Toasted; I find it very strange that my cleaning method will not work for you. I take silver coins that have been in the ocean for ages and are solid grey. My process "DOES" clean them to new every single time without harming the Patina. It has NEVER failed. So I'm confused as to why it won't work for you. I've been digging for 49 YEARs now. That's a LOT of silver coins and this works every time. The only other thing I can suggest is Electrolysis ok. Good Luck.
WhadI; I think it is the way they process it. It's just been my experience. PEACE:RONB

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Toasted; I find it very strange that my cleaning method will not work for you. I take silver coins that have been in the ocean for ages and are solid grey. My process "DOES" clean them to new every single time without harming the Patina. It has NEVER failed. So I'm confused as to why it won't work for you. I've been digging for 49 YEARs now. That's a LOT of silver coins and this works every time. The only other thing I can suggest is Electrolysis ok. Good Luck.
WhadI; I think it is the way they process it. It's just been my experience. PEACE:RONB

Oh I believe it works, RONB! I'm just doing some leg tuggage. ;)

But, I have a thought about why it may work for you but not for Toasted. Is it possible that the ground you've been pulling from might be the reason? Just a theory now, but, maybe, whatever is in the ground for toasted is causing a slightly different chemical reaction? Or....of course...maybe toasted is not doing things exactly correctly? :dontknow:

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Whadi; I knew you were jesting.

TOASTED; Are you making suure the foil is making contact with the coin after you pour the salt on it and then fold it?? Are you pouring enough vinegar in to completely cover the coin ?? Did you use a toothpick to GENTLY push the dirt off ?? Maybe let it soak longer each time like 40 minutes ok. No longer or you might pit the coin.
Whadi suggested different soil conditions. Thing is I've dug silver coins from beaches, parks, farms, deep woods etc and they all come clean via this process. Don't skimp on the salt and cover the coin completely with Vinegar ok. It may take as many as 6 times to finally get it finished. That was the worst encrusted coin I ever dug from a Colonial Stage Coach Route. They are usually done by 2X. I guaranty it works ok. Do it in a small plastic bowl not a metal one and change the tin foil "EVERY" time. Let us know. PEACE:RONB :icon_scratch:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread