paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spent some time widening the search around the cellar hole where I found the eagle militia plate. At first it was fairly slow and the finds were almost exclusively random iron and lead bits. Behind the cellar hole there's a bit of a ridge with a few very old apple trees so I started there and worked my way down the ridge and away from the home site. There wasn't much to show until I reached the end of the ridge where the land naturally forms a bowl shape before dropping off on three sides and that's where things started to get interesting. Almost immediately I pulled a nice early flat button, then another, and then a shoe buckle fragment. After three hours I had a tremendous number of early relics and all from the small (20'x20') bowl and down the sides where pieces must have been washed over time. These are just the buttons:

DSC03972.JPG

Most look to be late 1700's to 1810's. There's only one with a backmark ("Gilt") and one very nice looking dandy with scalloped edges. I thought I had a GW for a second. :laughing7:

DSC03973.JPG DSC03974.JPG DSC03975.JPG

The domed button is interesting; I've never seen one like that. There were also the remains of three different colonial shoe buckles including a big fragment of an beautifully engraved example that I truly wish I could have found intact.

DSC03976.JPG DSC03978.JPG DSC03979.JPG

What blew me away was the quantity of copper coins in such a small area. First an foremost is this incredible 1801 draped bust large cent:

DSC03981.JPG DSC03983.JPG

I lightly cleaned off the excess dirt, but I'm going to leave it as-is because of the high level of detail preserved in the patina. It was right on the edge of the bowl so all of the water must have washed through the soil and left the coil almost completely alone. The second large cent (a classic bust 1810) wasn't quite as lucky.

DSC03984.JPG DSC03985.JPG

Still not bad considering the age. I found two King George II halfpennies that are almost completely toast. Some lettering on the edge survived so I'm confident that they aren't CT coppers.

DSC03987.JPG DSC03988.JPG

The last is a highly abused copper that looks like it was hammered and then had a hole drilled in the middle. No features remain unfortunately.

DSC03990.JPG DSC03991.JPG

What's amazing is that all of this was in that small area and then naturally I widened my search grid and outside of that spot there was next to nothing in the ground. A few ox shoes and a horseshoe, but no buttons or even musket balls. At first I thought I might have found an even earlier home site, but the relics don't seem to support that idea. A muster spot also seemed possible, but I figure I would have found a few dropped musket balls if that were the case.

My only other theory is that it was an gathering spot for Sunday worship. These relics date to when the town was freshly settled and this area had many home sites, but is between the two actual population centers. My thinking is that before they had a church and resident pastor established, they may have held services in this spot. I'm open to other theories though; it really is an unusual grouping of finds.

DSC03970.JPG

Upvote 25
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great finds, congratulations on the old coppers! :occasion14:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great hunt. I love getting into spots like that. Is there a water source near this "bowl". Might be an area where the lady of the house washed clothes?

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice!!!

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there a water source near this "bowl". Might be an area where the lady of the house washed clothes?

There's a decent sized stream, but it's down the other side of the ridge and about 20 yards away. Oddly they built their barn on the other side of the stream and I found the spot where it looked like they tended to cross. I did find a lead hem weight there on a previous hunt so maybe that was the washing spot too. That's a fair distance from this ridge though.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt ! Maybe summer kitchen or smokehouse area :icon_thumright:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
5 copper day = crazy fun. Tremendous hunt and that draped Bust is in awesome condition. Congrats!

TWray

Sep 5, 2016
Roanoke VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro & Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds. Gotta love the early stuff. Congrats.

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice hunt with the oldie coppers

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
love the finds, and may I say, well presented

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 1801 is incredible indeed. Wow.

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Couldn't have asked for a better hunt. The DB largie is in awesome condition. Congratulations

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
So it looks like you found that site you were looking for! Nice work

Nicksan

Nov 17, 2005
So. Cal.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Stock and 6" coils
Whites M6 & MXT, Super 12 & 6x8 Detech coils
Miccus Bluetooth headphones & Ratphones
Lesche
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sheesh, Im happy if I find a wheatie or a merc, LOL...

Nice finds......Paleo.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing finds ... Thanks for the great post!!!!

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome hunt. Those are the ones that keep us coming back! Congrats.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread