Five Large Coppers and a Roman Coin (in Vermont?)

comfyinvermont

Bronze Member
Feb 8, 2004
Vermont
I just had the best day of detecting that I have ever had (yet). I could not believe what I was finding. A 1788 Massachusetts copper in beautiful condition, a 1798 draped bust large cent in good shape, a 1818 and 1825 large cents and a very worn copper which could be a Connecticut copper. Also found a nice standing liberty quarter. OK now comes the topper. A roman coin. Constantine 320 to 337 AD, Gloria Exerctus. Now how did that get here. All of these coins were about 6 to 8 inches deep including the Roman Coin. (the standing liberty was at 3 inches). Could they have used roman coins back in the colonial days. Does anyone have any info on this or has anyone else found one here?
Also found some nice relics including a beautiful brass buckle and some nice colonial buttons. I also found some iron stuff that is being cleaned. It was a really great day. As I was leaving the neighbor next store wanted to know if I would like to do his property to. Guess where I am going to be Monday morning....Lance

Attachments

• August 05 large cents 037.jpg
    August 05 large cents 037.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 817
  • August 05 large cents 046.jpg
    August 05 large cents 046.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 791
  • August 05 large cents 041.jpg
    August 05 large cents 041.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 794
Upvote 0

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
My goodness...Roman coins 1700 years old that sell for 3 bucks?

I know what I am going to start collecting haha...

Though I do know that silver and gold pieces are worth more, and of course like any kinds of coins, some coins are very rare....

I am astonished at what Lance has found there. Regardless of the value of the Roman coin...just to find it must have taken his breath away....
I know if I found something that old, it would blow my mind....
;D

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Great finds!! I can only imagine what the other side of the field has! what kinds of iron stuff did you find?

the roman coins go for 1 to 5 bucks on ebay for the common ones, but at coin stores they can go for alot more.

Gunner

Dec 19, 2004
The Roman coin is most certainly authentic. They can be found in pristine condition despite their age dependent upon soil conditions, protective coating, environment...etc. Here is a link to my collection for reference (I happen to be an avid collector of ancient coins..notably late roman such as yours). By the way...your coin could be worth more than 3 bucks. A pic of the reverse? 2 Standards or One?

Gunner

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,13998.0.html

Attachments

• Constantine RIC841a.jpg
    Constantine RIC841a.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 422

Joe88

Sep 10, 2004
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett GTA 550, &
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats!!! Those are some incredible finds!!!

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All those once in a life time finds in one day, What a hunt. I would take one of those finds a year. Great pictures.

Ed Donovan

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Roman coins will Sky Rocket in value when they stop finding them in the amounts they are finding them.

Keep @ it and HH!!

jt70

Apr 27, 2005
My Own World
Detector(s) used
DFX
HOLY SMOKES MAN!!!!! YOU ARE JUST ON FIRE!!!!

Please pace yourself before you give me a nervous breakdown or something already! ;D

Those are some awesome finds. You have had an incredible week or so there Lance.

Congrats and please don't really pace yourself. Keep it up I am having a blast getting on here at night to "see what Lance got today!"

Thanks for sharing and your pics are great too.

JT

Gunner

Dec 19, 2004
Here is your attribution. Nice coin! It is common; HOWEVER, A.) the fact that it was found 8" deep inside US terrirtory is RARE RARE RARE! and B.) The fact that it is so well preserved is RARE as well. It looks to have a desert patina. It was struck in Antioch and I'd bet the farm this coin was originally found in what is now modern day Syria near the Turkish border.

Ruler: Constantine II (as Caesar)
Obverse: CONSTANTINVS IVN NOB C
Bust type: B5 (Laureate and Curiassed)
Reverse: GLOR-IA EXERC-ITVS
Exergue: SMANS
Mint: Antioch (Modern day Syria)
Officina: "S" (2nd)
Attribution: RIC (Roman Imperial coins) VII (Volume 7) Antioch 87
Rarity: c2 (Common 2)

Regards,
Gunner

OP
OP
comfyinvermont

comfyinvermont

Bronze Member
Feb 8, 2004
Vermont
Here is a picture of the ones found on this property anyway...Lance

Attachments

• August 05 large cents 075.jpg
    August 05 large cents 075.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 247
R

rvbvetter

Amazing!! Incredible!! I'm running out of words I can spell. Oh, here's one. WAY!!
Only large coppers I can find, are the ones that want my autograph. WTG!!! HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread