Five pound iron meteorite ????

W. Frederick

Oct 5, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20181022_153143.jpg 20181022_153117.jpg 20181022_153128.jpg

I have found what I believe to be a meteorite. I understand it needs to be cut into in order to authenticate it. What is the best way to do this? It is beautiful and pristine...will cutting it lessen its' value? It is the size of a half grapefruit and five pounds.
I would appreciate any input. Thank you.

Upvote 3

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T-Net! *Possibly* an oriented iron meteorite. There are some surface features that look good, and some that do not. At this point, do not cut it and do not clean it. First, without revealing the location, can you tell us the circumstances of the find? Was it found in a desert? Was it buried or surface find? Does a magnet stick to it? Can you see any flow lines on the dome-shaped part or around the sides? Can you provide some more detailed pics of the dome-shape side?

It does not necessarily need to be cut to be authenticated. XRF analysis can been done without cutting and is usually the first step to confirm composition. However, an official classification would require it to be cut and a type specimen of 20% or 20 grams (whichever is less) be deposited with a repository. If you need help with this, I would be happy to facilitate.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think more likely a river tumbled fragment of an iron milling ball, or perhaps grapeshot. Edit: I re-read your post. If that piece weighs 5 lbs, it could be a cannonball frag, maybe.

Last edited:

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Where was it found? State? Farm field? By a railway line? etc.

HuntH2002

Bronze Member
May 27, 2018
San Antonio, TX
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2015 Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100 // 2015 Bounty Hunter Ultra Mag Sharpshooter // 2019 Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cool find! I thought it was the fragment of a cannonball

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There are no striations that would indicate it is a meteorite, no regmaglypts. Below is a "Oriented Meteorite" note the striations :skullflag:

Attachments

• Franks Oriented space rock.jpg
    Franks Oriented space rock.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 161

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's a piece of limonite concretion. A natural form of mineral created on earth and stayed on earth.

Attachments

• 77f8b466e7352e1be2615f94ea0e23cf--iron-oxide-rocks-and-minerals.jpg
    77f8b466e7352e1be2615f94ea0e23cf--iron-oxide-rocks-and-minerals.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 95

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T-Net! *Possibly* an oriented iron meteorite. There are some surface features that look good, and some that do not. At this point, do not cut it and do not clean it. First, without revealing the location, can you tell us the circumstances of the find? Was it found in a desert? Was it buried or surface find? Does a magnet stick to it? Can you see any flow lines on the dome-shaped part or around the sides? Can you provide some more detailed pics of the dome-shape side?

It does not necessarily need to be cut to be authenticated. XRF analysis can been done without cutting and is usually the first step to confirm composition. However, an official classification would require it to be cut and a type specimen of 20% or 20 grams (whichever is less) be deposited with a repository. If you need help with this, I would be happy to facilitate.

These Questions will help answer rather you have a Meteorite or a Meteor-wrong ; I hope it's the real deal , It does look to be almost circular on it's top , (look's like a Ball ) but then again I saw a picture of an Antarctic Ice-burg that was dang near a perfect rectangle with 90 o angles & flat vertical sides. Soo ???

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
good luck to you that it is a meteorite. but with the way my luck is ? its probably half of a cannon ball ? oh well that still would'nt be half bad of a find ? let us know ?

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see no striations. I have no idea what that means, but I wanted to sue it in a sentence it does sound pretty cool. lol hope it is but ?????

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread