FIVE SEATED LIBERTIES, 1812 NAVY, Civil War--CaneField Bandits are Back!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

After enjoying the beach hunting, I took a trip to Virginia to dig with my mentor and had some fun digging a few Civil War relics, searching for some old house sites, etc. More memories than finds made, but it was a great experience. Then I came back and did some scouting, following scant signs of habitation, and finding a couple lone flat buttons. Some truly frustrating hunts in the 100+ temps here in Louisiana. Then there was a heat wave, followed rain, rain, and more rain. So now that the heat has broken (95 degrees and dry, not 105 and humid!), Diggergirl, Shangalang, and I hit the fields. Video below

When I got to the site today, Shangalang had already dug two civil war bullets and a holed 1853 Seated Half Dime. DG and I didn't waste any time. I got an ornate piece of silver (busted up wax fob seal?) and she dug a cuff button (civilian). Shangalang then dug a big one-piece convex button. Looks like a circle in the center and oak leaves around. Civilian? Military? I think it has a Robinson backmark. Does anyone recognize this button as anything besides Civilian?

shang mystery butt.jpg shang mystery butto.jpg shang mystery button.jpg

Soon I get a mid-range tone and flip a half dime out! I could see it looked like it was in good shape. Bent over to pick it up where it had fallen out of the dry plug down on the ground again:

1854 hd just dug.JPG 1854 hd.JPG

It's an 1854 with arrows half dime :headbang:

Then next thing I know, DG's got one too! I come running over and she's got a nice 1842 half dime!

DG.jpg

Then I go about 10 feet ahead and get the PERFECT dime signal. Should've filmed it live, but didn't want to jinx...but sure enough--it was a SEATED DIME! Seated #4 for the day so far!

1842 dime just dug.JPG 1842 d.JPG

Then not long after, I hear Shangalang yelling that he's got a button with stars and an eagle on it! I go running and see this in his hand:

navy button.JPG

Then I dug what I'm pretty sure is a canteen spout. Pieces of melted led everywhere. A couple flat buttons. DG gets a pocket watch winder and I dig what ends up being a V Nickel on the way out, and we decide that it's time to call it a day. Shangalang hasn't dug his silver yet, but DG and I pack up the truck and get ready to head out. Then as I'm leaving I think I'm hearing something faint, like on the radio--wait!--it's Shangalang waving and yelling at me to come back! :D He comes running with a silver. It's an 1857 half dime! :headbang:

1842 hd just dug.JPG

THEN, once DG and I are on the road, Shang calls and says he just dug a large cent! Ended up being a toasted braided hair, but it's only the 4th or 5th large cent we've dug down here in the past 4 years.

early navy.jpg 1857 hd.jpg 1857 hd rev.jpg

rusty hole halfdime.jpg rusty hole halfdime rev.jpg

IMG_0534.JPG IMG_0535.JPG

IMG_0536.JPG IMG_0537.JPG

IMG_0538.JPG IMG_0539.JPG

IMG_0540.JPG IMG_0541.JPG

IMG_0542.JPG shang finds.jpg

Happy Hunting from the Cane Field Bandits 8-)

Cane Bandits.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 31
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice grouping of finds. Love the old buttons and seated. Nice video. Looks like yall had a great day.
Canefield Bandits.. Here we go.
What Frequency were you running with the XP when finding those half-dimes?
HH
Hi bonepicker, I was on GM Power, 17khz, iron volume at 0, ground balance tracking, 11 inch coil.

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi bonepicker, I was on GM Power, 17khz, iron volume at 0, ground balance tracking, 11 inch coil.
Thanks for responding Shane, I have yet to nail a half-dime with the deus.
Been running 4 and 8K a lot to avoid the tiny trash, but have been running 12 with some success lately.
Very impressive hunt guys, looking forward to seeing many more.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good show! :thumbsup:
The finds are excellent!
Always enjoy your videos, when they come by,
they're always....inspiring!

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One whole dime and four half dimes. That makes 3 whole dimes total.... and one awesome day of hunting. Congrats to all! Some great buttons as well.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good show! :thumbsup:
The finds are excellent!
Always enjoy your videos, when they come by,
they're always....inspiring!

Thanks so much! I really appreciate your kind words.

HH,

Buck

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One whole dime and four half dimes. That makes 3 whole dimes total.... and one awesome day of hunting. Congrats to all! Some great buttons as well.

Thanks so much my friend. I can't wait to do it again.

Cheers,

Buck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread