fix, scrap, or sell "as is"

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I found a bangle today, not marked. Tested for 14K. Diamonds tested out too. I am assuming the other stones are emeralds. One emerald is missing. I'm going to the jeweler tomorrow to see how much it will cost to fix. What do you think? fix, scrap, or sell as is? 11.67 grams

2014-08-07 16.39.19.jpg 2014-08-07 16.39.28.jpg

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
I would sell as-is. Definitely make sure it's not gold-filled because you don't want to misrepresent, but you should be able to get more for it as jewelry than scrap. By going as-is, you're not adding further expense to your investment. I'd open an auction at scrap + 20% to cover fees etc, and see what happens.
And before anybody says it's not gold because there's no mark, I found two 18K bangles w/no marks, which I scrapped at $900. I destroyed them because I could NOT believe they were real, I just had to see inside. Those were early days, when I was in dire straits.

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice. Have the stone replaced. What is the size and weight? It loik dc to be at least 3/8" wide in the photos. Stones are high grade if they are real. I would ask a min of $750.00 assuming it's hollow.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on the price of the repair. Can they match the stone close enough to not be able to tell it is a replacement, cost effectively that is? Let us know what the jeweler says.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look in to the cost of repair and then decide on what to do. Fix it or leave it ??. How will it give back to you the most $$$ is IMO what you should do. I keep that kind of stuff myself, as I consider things like that better then money in the bank, plus turning it to cash can be done at any pawn shop (or take the loan option?), local jeweler and from adds found on craigs list, in just about every town and city in this country. Gold is simply good to have on hand in any form.

OP
OP
M

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is the story. Bracelet weighs 11.67 grams, 5mm wide. It was xrayed; 14K gold. One emerald is missing, one emerald is cracked, and one emerald is pushed in like it is going to fall out. The stones are "very old European cuts". This jeweler can't replace it with the same cut. They also think of the emeralds may have been replaced. They told me to sell it as is; ask $450. I am wondering though ... maybe this is antique? If the cuts are so old, the whole thing smacks of a very old piece.

For right now, I have set it aside and am not doing anything with it until I can get someone who knows vintage stuff to look at it.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
European cut should put it around late 1800's to somewhere around the first quarter of the 20th century I would think. I found a 14k Mason's fob with "old mine cut" diamonds and rubies a couple years ago. It was not marked either. It dated to the late 1800's. I believe the "old mine cut" was the predecessor to the old European cut. I wish I would have held on to this piece.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

OP
OP
M

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I am at the point that I am considering paying for an appraisal of all my vintage stuff. I have a box of antique stuff here as well. It's $75 for an hour. May totally be worth it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread