Fix Whites Eagle Spectrum or buy new?

Jun 14, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All. Been many a moon since I've been able to detect but since I might be moving to Oregon I thought I'd dust off the detector and see what I can do with it. Unfortunately It needs repairs as it doesn't turn on. I don't really mind the repair cost but in my absence (20 years) I figure there might be some better tech out there. Especially if I want to do some beach detecting. Any suggestions?

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from the shores of Chesapeake Bay, southern Maryland. The Spectrum was an excellent machine back in the day. Newer machines using similar technology benefit from lighter weight. But the old machines were more durable, IMO. But the biggest tech improvement is the introduction of simultaneous multi-frequency machines. The most popular are the Minelab Equinox 600/800, especially for beach use. Wireless headphones are nice too. Garrett has finally joined the simultaneous multi-frequency party with their Ace Apex, but it is not waterproof.

Perhaps repair the Spectrum and keep it as a backup or spare to loan to a hunting partner? Selling it as an unrepaired parts machine when all you need may be a new switch, seems hardly worthwhile.

Last edited:

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clean the battery terminals. Clean the battery terminals...then when you're done clean the terminals.

Let me know how you get on.

Chub

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
was it stored with battery in it? sometimes the contacts get weak. get something in there and pull them out a little.you can use a eraser to clean.like chub said take the batt pack apart clean everything.
good luck brad

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread