FIXING A MOTOR WITH LOW TO NO SPARK (we used a Honda GX200)

dtpost

Jan 3, 2011
Florida, Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT,BH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple of days ago I was working on my pressure washer and my dredge motor and pump when I noticed my pressure wash was reluctant to start. I checked all the normal avenues, to no avail. I checked the carb. to be sure it was getting fuel, I pulled the float bowl and cleaned the needle valve, the float itself and the bowl to remove any debris. I checked the fuel filter in the tank and everything was clean. :BangHead:

Then I moved to the electrical system on the GX200, First I checked all the wires to be sure nothing was cracked or disconnected, I pulled the spark plug to be sure it was not foaled down from use or that it was set correctly.

Then i decided to dig deeper into the motor and what could have been a trip to the lawn service shop. Ended up being just a rusted charging wheel, so many times I have forgotten to check this first on my dredge motor. Seeing that the motor has water splashing on it from the dredge and being close to water at all times. I decided to pull the pull cord and front housing off of the motor. AHH I see why I have no spark and the engine will not start now.

I used a 120 grit sand paper and a rust dissolve to help remove rust from the flywheel and the charging magnetic plate.

View attachment 1369901

After using the rust dissolve gel I used a degreaser that had phosphates in it to help dry out the metal after cleaning the flywheel off.

20161013_104837.jpg

20161013_122158.jpg

Once i had the flywheel and the magnetic plate free from rust i decided to check the Ignition unit and found that it was rusted too. I ran the 120 grit sand paper across concave shaped Ignition unit to clean rust from the surface of the sending unit. Be sure to check the wire that is connected to the ON/OFF switch and be sure to see if it is make a good connection to the corresponding wire(s).

20161013_104858.jpg

After I had remove all the rust from the ignition unit feet, I scribed the metal with a screw driver to expose new metal

20161013_110000_Burst01.jpg

BE SURE TO PLACE THE IGNITION UNIT IN THE SAME PLACE IT WAS PRIOR TO CLEANING IT.....LEAVING THE IGNITION TOO FAR FROM THE MAGNETIC PLATE WILL NOT ALLOW FOR A PROPER CONNECTION AND RESULT IN "STILL NO SPARK TO YOUR SPARK PLUG"!!!!

20161013_102252.jpg

Check all parts that you removed to get to the flywheel for excessive wear and tear and replace them if needed.....

Attachments

• 20161013_104817_HDR.jpg
    20161013_104817_HDR.jpg
    901.9 KB · Views: 397
  • 20161013_104817_HDR.jpg
    20161013_104817_HDR.jpg
    901.9 KB · Views: 267
Last edited:

Bill_saf

Jul 3, 2014
w/c Illinois
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Did you get it to run? #1 if not check wires from the coil to switch for any wear marks ( thin spots ) and use a ohm meter on switch. if the unit has a low oil sending unit you need to disconnect and test switch for short this takes the low oil sending unit out of the circuit some times the lil silver box for the low oil sending unit go's bad and will cause a not start. #2 on some older units the coil (spark plug wire ) will dry out from old age spray with WD 40 to remove any moisture still no start needs (coil) #3 Use a business card to set air gap 3-5 tho on coil to fly wheel good to go #4 check magnets on fly wheel if weak replace.

I work on small engines on the side honda, honda clones , B&S and chain saws

Hope this helps some one

Bill

Last edited:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I've found many lawnmowers in the trash because of this problem! A quick cleanup of the rotor and flywheel with SANDPAPER and NOT any paper that has ANY metal in it or you'll never get it cleaned up. always look for what they call "cat wiskers" protruding from the rotor to the flywheel or to ground.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread