tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I passed by the Flaming Gorge Reservoir in SW Wyoming yesterday afternoon. The weather was perfect lake weather with the cloud cover keeping the sun from burning down on ya. Wished, I was spending a couple days out on this lake. They had a banner over the dam road celebrating the 50 year anniversary of the completion of this dam.

Attachments

• flaming gorge 1.jpg
    flaming gorge 1.jpg
    884.7 KB · Views: 96
  • flaming gorge 2.jpg
    flaming gorge 2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 82

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My son and I came through Flaming Gorge in October of 2007. We were returning from Texas to Idaho. We were in an old motorhome. The signs said that chains were required at this time of year. Just ahead of us was a truck and he turned onto the road leading into the Gorge. I followed him. I didn't actually have 'chains', but had some chain, a hack saw, files, and some nuts and bolts. I thought I could probably talk my way out of a ticket if I got stopped. We didn't see much ice on the road; just a little at the very edge in a few places. I wish I had taken a bunch of pictures! There are switchbacks going through there that make you think you are going to run into the back of your own vehicle! lol There were drop-offs at the sides of the roads in some places that were very steep and looked to be hundreds of feet to the bottom. We were driving very slowly because of the conditions, and saw a lot of beautiful scenery. We crossed a dam, I believe, that crossed the lake.
Y'all will have to excuse my remembrances; after 7 years, they're a little vague! I would really like to go back through there during warmer weather and stop to take pictures every minutes.

Beautiful pictures, Tamrock.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My son and I came through Flaming Gorge in October of 2007. We were returning from Texas to Idaho. We were in an old motorhome. The signs said that chains were required at this time of year. Just ahead of us was a truck and he turned onto the road leading into the Gorge. I followed him. I didn't actually have 'chains', but had some chain, a hack saw, files, and some nuts and bolts. I thought I could probably talk my way out of a ticket if I got stopped. We didn't see much ice on the road; just a little at the very edge in a few places. I wish I had taken a bunch of pictures! There are switchbacks going through there that make you think you are going to run into the back of your own vehicle! lol There were drop-offs at the sides of the roads in some places that were very steep and looked to be hundreds of feet to the bottom. We were driving very slowly because of the conditions, and saw a lot of beautiful scenery. We crossed a dam, I believe, that crossed the lake.
Y'all will have to excuse my remembrances; after 7 years, they're a little vague! I would really like to go back through there during warmer weather and stop to take pictures every minutes.

Beautiful pictures, Tamrock.
This lake doesn't get the same massive amount of visitors as what you'd see at a place like Lake Powell. It's just kind of off the radar it seems to vacationers for the most part. I think it be a great place to visit with a boat and do some fishing, camping or just relax. The Uintah mountains would be wonderful to explore. This odd range of mountains that run east & west are off the big main roads and folks just don't go there like they do here in the Colorado Rocky's. The warmer seasons are somewhat short in this country. This is why many of the early mountain men headed in to this land of longer winters after the prime pelts to trap. I read in a book someplace were Jim Bridger told another old mountain man this was the country he hoped to retire the rest of his days at when he'd give up the mountain man life and that's why he built fort Bridger were it is today. I believe many of the spirits the old mountain men live in the Uintah's at a rendezvous created by heaven. You definitely feel something up in there. Could just be all the Mountain Lions tracks I see in the snow, given me the spooks when I go through there in the winter season.

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As I said it's been was almost 7 years ago when I was there. I only remember crossing the dam/bridge and seeing the water below. I remember most about the forests, steep drop offs, and the beautiful sights of the mountains around us. I remember seeing a sign stating that one of the peaks was (I believe) over 12,000 feet tall (or was it possibly 14,000). I also remember beginning to have some difficulty with my breathing at whatever height we were at and this was before my COPD got bad.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I spend quite a bit of time in that area. Used to flyfish the res. for browns, back when they had big browns. Also smallmouth. The best thing for me is I see bighorns on almost every trip in that area. The area I prospect for diamonds is about 15 miles west of the Gorge. Going back over there tomorrow.
Jim

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread