Flat button help

Cole55

Dec 29, 2015
Chester county, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Whites spectrum XLT/ XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have found a flat button but I can not find much out. From center bottom going clock wise it reads *London* best* treble* gilt*...OK that's not the total stumper. In the middle under the loop but right above London it has three letters...I think it says R&M but not completely sure. There is nothing on front side. Any info on age and what those letters are would be greatly appreciated thank you. botton.jpg5.jpg4.jpg3.jpg 2.jpg1.jpg

Last edited:
A search of Google books shows 150+ hits on the term "treble gilt". Dates ranged from the 1790's to the 1840's.

I couldn't find anything on "R & M". But it's safe to say this is a first half of the 19th C button.

DCMatt

Upvote 0
DCMatt is exactly right on the time period. I love digging those old buttons!

Upvote 0
Thank you guys so much. Yea they are great looking I have a bunch but never had a treble gilt always double gilt or something.

Upvote 0
Thank you. I found a company "Robert martin" 1798-1804 but no luck on finding actual buttons from them for comparison

Upvote 0
I found a Robbins and Muchall in one of my references. They were in London and Birmingham, England. Their backmark is on a 1-piece Mass. Artillery button circa 1815. The firm also appeared in the 1818 Birmingham directory as merchants on Bond street.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back