Jan 9, 2019
New England
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fellow Diggers, I am looking for some help with ID’ing this item found at a 1700’s colonial cellar hole. Yes, it’s a small flat iron, but is it an actual iron for pleats, a toy, or something from a dollhouse? It is made from Pewter, weighs 26.3 grams, and appears to have been cast as you can see the seam below the handle. ( yes its cast crooked as shown in the photos)

I have contacted the Pressing Iron & Trivets Collectors of America, the Great Dollhouse Museum of America, the Antique Toy Collectors of America, and an Antique Dealer in CA who sells lots of flat irons. No one has any information on what exactly this is.

I have searched for the last day and a half (perks of being an IT Manager) about colonial toys, toys from the 1800’s and have come up with nothing. While searching about dollhouses, I came across the following ( which may support the very fancy button ( $ ) found just a few feet away):

In the beginning, dollhouses had only two purposes: display and pedagogy. First built in the 17th century in northern Europe, primarily in Germany, Holland, and England, dollhouses were designed for adults. They were closely associated with wealth and served as markers of social class and status. As Faith Eaton explains in The Ultimate Dolls House Book, the German word dockenhaus meant not dollhouse but “miniature house.” And a miniature house was not a house to play with. In Holland, these exhibits of wealth were called “cabinet houses.” The front of the house opens like a china cabinet on hinges that can be closed and locked. Inside cabinet houses, people could both show off and conceal their collections of expensive miniature objects.

Beginning in the 17th century, “Nuremberg kitchens” might contain a hearth, cooking pots, a straw broom. These all-metal houses were designed without ornament, for purely utilitarian purposes. Used as teaching tools for girls, Nuremberg kitchens allowed mothers to show daughters how to set up and control a house. All about learning rules, a Nuremberg kitchen was the opposite of a dollhouse as a dream world of fantasy. It was a place where girls learned to manage not only the objects of the house but also its servants, where girls would learn to become the lady of the house.

Does anyone have any idea on what this may be from, or could direct me to someone who might have some further information? Please?

IMG_3855.jpg IMG_3857.jpg IMG_3859.jpg IMG_3803.jpg button.jpg IMG_3860.jpg

Upvote 12

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is quite heavy -approaching an ounce ! If it was for a game piece I suppose you'd have identified it as such already - no idea

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Early Monopoly piece? images (3).jpg

OP
OP
FieldStone

FieldStone

Jan 9, 2019
New England
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So the game monopoly came out in 1935, so we are 150 years off on that guess. Not sure there were salesmen back in 1700's.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
one thing for sure .. if it is made from pewter, it isn't meant for ironing.

Some of those "cellar holes" saw occupation much later than the 1700's.

Last edited:
OP
OP
FieldStone

FieldStone

Jan 9, 2019
New England
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, could be from 1800's as well, or even early 1900's. I have come up empty on all my searches.

OP
OP
FieldStone

FieldStone

Jan 9, 2019
New England
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That picture of the flat iron is the closest thing I've seen to a match.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say its some sort of toy iron, (personal opinion). Even if it were a collar iron (of which I have found two) it would be bigger than that one. That is a nice little find.

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would say it's a toy iron. My brother found a collar iron from the Civil War and it's made of iron. All that can actually be used that I've ever personally seen, small or large, have been cast from iron. That's why I think child's toy is the logical choice.

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Toy or just a piece to sit on the shelf. No way you could use one that small.
I would say it's a toy iron. My brother found a collar iron from the Civil War and it's made of iron. All that can actually be used that I've ever personally seen, small or large, have been cast from iron. That's why I think child's toy is the logical choice.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds! The iron looks like a game piece of some kind or perhaps a miniature form a dollhouse set. :occasion14:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a hard Id. Doll house I would guess if its a game piece I would assume you would have found more pieces same if it was a Doll house item. I think you will find your answer in more diggings Tommy

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going with Toy.

Top Member Reactions