Flats buttons, buckles, LC and float copper

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went back to my "old settlers home site". Spent a hour or so hunting a new debris field I found the other day. A few buckles, 1848 LC, couple flat buttons, and what appears to be a small piece of float copper. Did find a large piece of lead and lots of iron. DSC00768.JPG The old home site is in a fresh cut soybean field, nice and flat perfect for mding. Trying to hit it hard now before it is tilled and becomes a huge mess. That should be interesting tho after its tilled. Anyone have any advice for hunting farm fields?

Upvote 3

texasvarmit

Oct 6, 2006
Texas and Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT gold, Fisher CZ5 quicksilver, Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
cool finds!:tongue3:

I had never heard the term "float copper" so had to look it up. I found a chunk of copper (like a nugget) in north Virginia (in the area of Alexandria) years ago and never knew what it was other than copper of some type.

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the digs. I love the old fields. Can't beat the soybean fields being so flat and no stubs in the way. Almost as perfect as a freshly mowed lawn :)
Advice? How long have you been doing wide open fields that have been turned over numerous times? I would suggest...
1) Dig everything (unless you know for sure it's a chunk of iron that you don't want to mess with).
2) Never trust the "iffy" signals, could be junk or iron partially covering that big seated half dollar :) The deeper the signal, the more jumpy it may read.
3) When you walk your pattern, covering the obvious area where you are recovering targets and can see pottery and brick... then keep walking, go beyond it at least 30 - 50ft or more. The field has been turned over so many time in the past 100 yrs the coins and other targets really can be pushed out some distance.
4) Try to pick out what direction the famer plows, (we humans are a "habit creatures" and do things typically only one way). That'll help you see the direction that most of the goods could be found in as that's where they've been pushed around and scattered at. This is easier to see with corn fields though.
5) Whenever you dig, dig deep to be sure you get under the target and a 4-5 inches away from the target. Even if you think it's a shallow reading. Don't take a chance and ram your digger into a nice piece of Spanish silver :p

OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never new about float copper until over the summer I found a 35lb. chunk of the stuff! I look at everything closely now. Thanks for the advice! I have hunted farm fields in the past, hunted this spot a few times in the past years. Either they have 1' tall corn stalks or is tilled. Just could never work it very well over. One thing I have been doing differently this year is dig everything:icon_thumright: The LC and silver spoon were a solid 80 or higher on my dfx but the capped bust dime i found a few days ago was much lower i think a 30 or 40. That I would not of found if I was only digging high tones. Thanks again for the advice, I plan to hit it again tomorrow!!! Got to love sites like this that have no modern trash!!!!

PeteWmass

Nov 26, 2012
South Hadley
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wander around by feel until I hit a concentration of iron..then I slowly spiral out from there....always works.....

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Good digs! Bound to be more out there.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the digs. I love the old fields. Can't beat the soybean fields being so flat and no stubs in the way. Almost as perfect as a freshly mowed lawn :)
Advice? How long have you been doing wide open fields that have been turned over numerous times? I would suggest...
1) Dig everything (unless you know for sure it's a chunk of iron that you don't want to mess with).
2) Never trust the "iffy" signals, could be junk or iron partially covering that big seated half dollar :) The deeper the signal, the more jumpy it may read.
3) When you walk your pattern, covering the obvious area where you are recovering targets and can see pottery and brick... then keep walking, go beyond it at least 30 - 50ft or more. The field has been turned over so many time in the past 100 yrs the coins and other targets really can be pushed out some distance.
4) Try to pick out what direction the famer plows, (we humans are a "habit creatures" and do things typically only one way). That'll help you see the direction that most of the goods could be found in as that's where they've been pushed around and scattered at. This is easier to see with corn fields though.
5) Whenever you dig, dig deep to be sure you get under the target and a 4-5 inches away from the target. Even if you think it's a shallow reading. Don't take a chance and ram your digger into a nice piece of Spanish silver :p

That's everything you need to know right there.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread