Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings north of Larson country!
I have this artifact that I found along the Red River, north of Winnipeg, Manitoba. The site yielded many nice points, scrapers, whole knives and even a little archaic copper.
The main materials at this site are Knife River flint, Selkirk chert, Swan River chert, and a few material from the Canadian Shield, not far to the east.
This piece reminds me of a blood-letting tool but I don't know if that's what it is.
Pardon my bad pictures......

P1140473 (1024x702).jpg

It has quite the curve to it

P1140478 (893x831).jpg

I imagine when the material was being utilized, they took advantage of the big ridge which fits perfect for the thumb and a flat smooth spot on the other side fits the index finger.....

P1140482 (1024x966).jpg

P1140477 (1024x678).jpg

Curious to see what everyone thinks about this piece!

P1140469 (1024x766).jpg

Thanks in advance and I hope to share more often on this forum and regret not being a part of it sooner as I missed meeting Larson. (R.I.P.)
Cheers,
Dave.

Upvote 0

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
his posts were the best on this forum...we all looked forward to what he was gonna find next...all 100% unquestionable too as he was farming a very specific village site... Mandan I think?... and so many amazing and different things kept popping up...not just point either.

your piece looks like it was quickly made from a scrap that had a fortunate shape to it already...and probably made for a single, quick purpose and then tossed aside. Remember the fellow that made that could have done it in a few short minutes with no effort.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your piece may actually be made from an Overshot Flake that was then sharpened into the nice Flake Knife. Very cool piece.

I too miss my buddy Steve. I miss our late night phone calls to talk about artifacts when I worked night as a security guard. He was definitely one of the good ones. RIP buddy!

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Agree with Steve, nice tool. Is that Moss Agate? Either way a super cool material and a nice example.

OP
OP
Muddyhandz

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies! This piece is the only one of it's kind in my collection so I was curious if anyone recognized a similar pattern or if it's unique.
The material sure looks like agate and we have lots naturally found in Manitoba but then Knife River flint can be this light in colour too.
I am really interested in the Mandan as well and will go through all of Larson's old posts to see his discoveries on the subject.
Never bought or sold one artifact and people are too cheap to salt any sites out here!
Even if I see a nice legit point for $5 I still won't buy it simply because without knowing where it was found, the artifact becomes useless to me.
The information it provides is the true value!
Will post more in the near future.
Thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions