Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With our fields covered with a couple inches of snow and the ground frozen even deeper, we had no option but to head south if we wanted to dig this weekend. Sunday looked like the best day to drive down there, based on the weather forecasts. It was 10 degrees when we left Pennsylvania and 33 when we arrived in West Virginia 3 hours later. The day continued improve as we hunted some Yankee cavalry positions from a large skirmish that occurred in late August 1864. I have hunted this particular property many times over the years and it is littered with Spencer casings and the occasional complete Spencer cartridge. Confederate artillery frags turn up fairly regularly along with other items lost in the heat of battle. For some reason there are no fired Confederate bullets among the Spencer casings. The old property owner, a WWII veteran, passed away a couple years ago. His son in law who lives next door, volunteered to cut some passes through the thick brush with his front end loader. I think he was having as much fun as we were :laughing7: We were ready to quit before he was!!

Anyway, it was more of the same with lot's of Spencer casings. My best find was a New York button. Tom dug a nice intact Spencer cartridge. The first pic is Tom and my finds together, with my finds below the crude iron spike. The pic with my finds cleaned has a Spencer where I married the bullet and casing together. The last pic is a WWII relic the old vet brought home from the war. It was laying on the cement where one of his outbuildings once stood.

Attachments

• 2-10-13 Tom + Steve.jpg
    2-10-13 Tom + Steve.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 173
  • 2-10-13 Steve finds.jpg
    2-10-13 Steve finds.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 182
  • New York - Front.jpg
    New York - Front.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 166
  • Grenade.jpg
    Grenade.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:
Upvote 7

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow. Unexploded grenades are serious stuff. Was it a practice grenade?

By the way, great that you are finding some complete Spencers. They are getting hard to find with the casing intact. Well done!

John Boy

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2012
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 LTD CAMOUFLAGE,CZ3D 1021,1220X AND GARRETT PRO POINTER.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really like that button and nice assortment of relics.congrats

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow. Unexploded grenades are serious stuff. Was it a practice grenade?

By the way, great that you are finding some complete Spencers. They are getting hard to find with the casing intact. Well done!

I really don't know whether it was a practice grenade, disarmed, or not. There was no pin or handle, and the bottom looked to be hollow and full of dirt. I didn't want to mess with it and left it lay where it was. The property owner was the one who showed it to us.

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great finds Steve!! That's a really nice NY button. Good assortment of relics. We don't have Spencers in the camps we hunt and the only bullets with complete cartridges we dig are Pin Fires. WTG & HH, Quindy.

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome finds but I think i would've left that grenade there lol and probably stay away a good 100 meters, congrats on the finds!!

hdmech71

Jan 25, 2012
wv
Detector(s) used
F75 se / Minelab Soveriogn / sunray probe/ whites classic Id/ pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very cool. Nice button and the gernade is awesome.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like you were busy digging brass Steve. At a site like that you just never know what might pop out. Nice NY button BTW!

flyinryan2

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2011
Winchester, VA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, 8.5"x11" DD coil, Super Sniper coil, Garrett Ace 250, 10" x 14" DD EXcelerator coil, Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Steve!!! I dug a few Spencer casings today but no Complete. I also matched up a few of my good round casings with some nice bullets, its great for display!

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job, Steve! I have only found 1 complete spencer. Came close on some others. I found my complete one in a plowed field of all places. Congrats again.

artyfacts

Bronze Member
May 1, 2010
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MX7, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great stuff Steve. Thanks for marrying the spencer, nicely shaped round. That is one sweet button.

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds.. I don't blame you I would have left that gernade alone too.. Just goes to show you... You never know what your going to find maybe even a gernade.. Thanks for sharing..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread