In the Late Days of the War there was a European Clothing
000bbb.jpg

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool picture, but it must be a re-publication if it was in a 1947 newspaper. Here’s the original, taken on 6th April 1945 in the middle of Times Square:

Penny Edwards.jpg

The girl is Millicent Maxine Edwards aka Penny Edwards (later a moderately successful film and TV actress) who was a mere 16 years old when she joined the chorus line in the Broadway production of “Laffing Room Only” in 1944 and it closed on 14 July 1945.

Various stars of the Broadway stage came and pegged up their offerings on a clothes line put up in Times Square, as well as mass donations from the general public. There were several such clothing drives in New York (and elsewhere) but “European clothing shortage” doesn’t exactly encapsulate the reason for these generous donations. The clothing went to those in Europe who had pretty much been left destitute by the war.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool picture, but it must be a re-publication if it was in a 1947 newspaper. Here’s the original, taken on 6th April 1945 in the middle of Times Square:

View attachment 2050888

The girl is Millicent Maxine Edwards aka Penny Edwards (later a moderately successful film and TV actress) who was a mere 16 years old when she joined the chorus line in the Broadway production of “Laffing Room Only” in 1944 and it closed on 14 July 1945.

Various stars of the Broadway stage came and pegged up their offerings on a clothes line put up in Times Square, as well as mass donations from the general public. There were several such clothing drives in New York (and elsewhere) but “European clothing shortage” doesn’t exactly encapsulate the reason for these generous donations. The clothing went to those in Europe who had pretty much been left destitute by the war.
it was a story on Joe (Flim-Flam) Flynn's antics .
I thought the Pic was cool and included that part.

Thanks for the Info ! I Couldn't find a Clear Pic in Google Images, Or one of the cop actually looking in as alluded to in the Story

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it was a story on Joe (Flim-Flam) Flynn's antics .
I thought the Pic was cool and included that part.

Thanks for the Info ! I Couldn't find a Clear Pic in Google Images, Or one of the cop actually looking in as alluded to in the Story

I don't know if that picture exists or not. The paparazzi have been engineering these kinds of pictures almost since cameras came into use and still doing it today of course

We have an ice cream branded “Cornetto” in the UK, which has long been promoted as “Italian”, supported by adverts featuring gondoliers in Venice and a jingle of “Just One Cornetto” sung to the tune of “O Sole Mio”.

I used to work for the company that made these ice creams and when the Queen Mother visited Venice in 1984, with it becoming known she would be taking a gondola ride, word was put around that a picture of her in a gondola with a Cornetto in her hand would be a “big money” shot. Someone managed it:

Cornetto.jpg

Although it was syndicated as having been “presented” to her, there was a strong suspicion that the gondolier had been primed with Lira to dupe her into taking it by extending what appeared to be a friendly hand.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread