99.9 KB · Views: 879
Upvote 0

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Pretty sure that one was a hoe, and the polish being terrestrial. Very good example though, and a style that doesn't pop up too frequently. I really like that, far more than a typical flint "axe"!

As far as the flint ("bowtie,"" figure 8," whatever you want to call them) axes, they seemed to be used more frequently in a different role. They are found commonly on processing sites and were most likely used in the butchering process to dis-articulate the critter. Even though they are attributed for lasting from late Archaic to Mississippian, they are found more often on late Woodland / early Mississippian sites. As an interesting side note, a friend of mine found a cache of them (11 total) in Mayes Co. Oklahoma. It's pretty rare to see rudimentary utiliarian implements cached like that, but it does happen on occasion.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find, but like Neanderthal said, it is a flint hoe.....

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Now that is the nicest hoe I have seen in a long time. Way to go finding that bad boy!!!!

Joel

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a heck of a piece of flint. I am sure the person who made it was as proud to own it as you are! Great find!

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's the first thing I thought when I looked at it, its a flint hoe & a beauty too.
Thanks for sharin' we rarely see those..

Molly...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread