68.2 KB · Views: 1,501
Upvote 0

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Flint Ridge Blades (post yours here)

SoIll's multicolored point, IMHO, is a Snyders point (Hopewell).

I also agree that the term "Kirk" is pretty much a garbage can that nearly anything that isn't obviously something else can get disposed of in.

Thirty7 : that is an outrageously beautiful Cobbs !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SoIll

Oct 6, 2008
Il

I thought it was a cobbs too. Whatever it is it's spectacular! :notworthy:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I feel so left out never having found this flint ridge material. I do not think a fort payne or dover post would make good eye candy. Thanks for sharin all the candy. Its something else for sure. :thumbsup:
TnMtns

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other

I'm not disputing what you say. But your first picture of it (phpvTx0cHPM.jpg) sure as heck looks like it's distinctly beveled, and the quartering end view's congruent with that.

creek astronaut

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2009
fairfield county,ohio

TnMountains said:
I feel so left out never having found this flint ridge material. I do not think a fort payne or dover post would make good eye candy. Thanks for sharin all the candy. Its something else for sure. :thumbsup:
TnMtns
when you and 37 come up here to hunt the ridge you will no longer feel left out.one of my best spots very close to the ridge just got deep plowed in the last few days and so all we need is for mother nature to do her magic and for you guys to get them bags packed.group hunt weekend just got put on stanby notice.37 that is a sweet piece. :headbang:

OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->

TnMountains said:
TnMtns

I think a ft payne or dover post would be a good post material, both fine lithics imo. I've only found a few pieces of ridge in WV, it's scarce and probably made it's way south through trade. Dont feel left out man, you're in Tn, maybe the most artifact rich state in the country, top three anyway imo. I just dont have the opportunity and time to hunt Oh., so I buy it to add to the collection. Looking foward to doing some hunting with you guys in the near future. Did you guys get all that rain? it hammered the rain down here for 36 hours straight, this weekend should be great hunting conditions.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yes. I have been under water here since mid summer. We have had record amounts of rain. 300 year old oaks are falling over the ground its so saturiated. But the metal detector is kicking out Civil war lead from pretty deep.The fields are still in soy beans due to the rain. Be fun to do a group hunt. I might be able to arrange a dig on private lands also if anyone is interested. Looks like I will have some spare weekends in the spring.
Oh yeah remember the archiac knife I posted it was kinda like what you showed above. It was papered as a cobbs. I do not put much value in the paper though.

Nice post Ryan,, great flint all.
HH
TnMtns

OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->

few more blades and a fr chalcedony paleo uniface knife.

Attachments

• phpMERiboPM.jpg
    phpMERiboPM.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 978
  • phpOSfyIoPM.jpg
    phpOSfyIoPM.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 973
P

pickaway

Great ridge relics...

OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->

Nice looking artifacts Jeff, the adena / woodland blade is an awesome piece. Is that a big uniface on the right?

pointdlr

Sep 30, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio

Great Stuff All!!!!!!!!!!! Love all the Ridge I can see!!!!!!!!
Here is a favorite of mine. Didn't find it, but it is old. Haven't measured it in a while, but around 5 1/2" long.
Jon Dickinson.

Attachments

• blade1.jpg
    blade1.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 831
  • blade2.jpg
    blade2.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 815
  • blade3.jpg
    blade3.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 830
OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->

Wow, what a killer blade, super piece o' ridge too. Thanks for letting us see that monster.

P

pickaway

Heres some Ive personally found.
ridger.jpg

pointdlr

Sep 30, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio

Pickaway,
Wish I lived in the land of Ridge like you!!!!!! Awesome personal finds!!!!!!!! Besides a couple of famous Hopewell sites around Cincinnati, we find very little flint ridge in extreme South West Ohio. I have always found this interesting considering we find tons or Hornstone and Carter Cave. The quarries are all about the same distance from my area. I have to figure it is the easy river route on Hornstone and Carter that made it prevelant in the area.
I found another pic in my computer of some Flint Ridge blades. The left side piece is my best Ridge blade. It is a cobbs form, and was collected originally by Dr. Stan Copeland. He is widely considered to be Ohio's best all time flint collector. The center blade was over 7". I sold it a few years back. The right side piece is a repeat from my previous post.
Regards,
Jon Dickinson.

Attachments

• flintridgeblades1.jpg
    flintridgeblades1.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 763

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread