Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had so much to do I haven't even had time to go through the latest batch.

This is from Flint Ridge, Ohio from last week.

That's a 2 gallon bucket full. These are the cores, bladelets, and a few pieces I just liked the color of.

I gave another bucket full to a friend. They had dug another pit with the dozer and it had rained very hard. IMG_0752.JPG

Upvote 0

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice looking material. Just dump it on a table, take a few shots & post here if you have time. Thanks.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't even washed it off. Even got some more small hammerstones. I'll try in the am.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice pile I usually put them in water and let them sit until I get around to cleaning them. Looks to be some interesting pieces in that bucket

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That one in the middle is a BIG core!

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That one in the middle is a BIG core!

One field I look on is full of cores I wish there was more points I think the cores out number all other artifacts I have found. Mine are small though

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Points from this site are very uncommon, even the broken ones. The little flake knives, which I call prehistoric razor knives are also relatively hard to get. My favorite one is orange and red.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Points from this site are very uncommon, even the broken ones. The little flake knives, which I call prehistoric razor knives are also relatively hard to get. My favorite one is orange and red.

pic please. I have a 5 gal bucket full of stuff I am going to give to another member at the next show

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have some home-made frames of large pieces I was thinking about posting close-ups in a separate thread... cores, choppers, scrapers et al. Maybe get some good feedback on the debatable ones!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll get pics in the am. Off to go to sleep with the cats, the one's crying already because I'm not in my place. Guess who owns who!

Last trip I didn't get any true knock out items, but it's a lot of fun. And 380 miles from here!

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'll get pics in the am. Off to go to sleep with the cats, the one's crying already because I'm not in my place. Guess who owns who!

Last trip I didn't get any true knock out items, but it's a lot of fun. And 380 miles from here!

I have a young cat named Lulu; aka Bandy. She was puny today. I think she ate a bad rat! Donna, my wife, found one in the yard this afternoon that Lulu likely killed. It was putrid.
001 (2).JPG

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Maine coon is a mouser. I think they die of fright when they see him. He hunts in the basement when they make the dumb mistake of trying to get inside.

He's 28 pounds and 40" long and is not fat at all. I call him Whiney, all he does is whine.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's some pics. IMG_0759.JPG Flake knives. These are hard to get. IMG_0754.JPG Hammerstones. Most folks don't know to look for them here. IMG_0753.JPG Cores. IMG_0755.JPG IMG_0756.JPG IMG_0757.JPG IMG_0758.JPG

The areas I was in has more of the darker flints. At different places on the farm the colors change dramatically.

Last edited:

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That flake knife in the middle is a textbook flake from a blade core. That’s pretty cool I don’t think I’ve found one of those yet

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are correct Older the Better. I heard other cool things have been found nearby. Bannerstones, paleo points, Daltons, Adenas, axes, celts, all that stuff. Next time out I'm going to dig. I found a piece of green adventurine and a piece of gem grade moonstone last time.

Last edited:

willjo

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2015
Twin City, Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 350 and Garrett ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang would have been neat to know you were there, me and my son went this year. we were both set up. Got some nice Flint Ridge material also. Met several people who are on different forums.

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
Had a couple good visits with willjo at Ridge last weekend. I brought home some rock also but better yet on Sunday I made a connection with a young farmer and his wife who gave me his card and told me to come down and gather all the rock I want at no charge. Me and my buddy who was set up next to me are going to make a road trip in the next couple weeks.

Smokey if you cook ridge you have to get it to at least 450 for 8 hours and that tames it a bit and will change the colors some. My turkey roaster doesn't do the trick so my buddy tosses it in his kiln.

Last edited:
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jon Stewart, I took about 10 pieces and dug a hole in the yard. Used a bag of match light charcoal and sand, and cooked them to see if the colors changed much. Didn't seem they did all that much. Then I figured out the Indians had already cooked them!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions