Flintlock Dueling Pistol, SILVER, IHs & surprise from Iceland!

GoingDown

Jul 8, 2005
King William III Copper (1695-1703) Mid-Hudson Va
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Flintlock Dueling Pistol, SILVER, IH's & surprise from Iceland!

I’m finally following up on Bergie's post from Sunday about our daylong dig at the Old Race Track. An extraordinary weather day here in the northeast (40's - sunny) with the ground cooperating very well. The moisture from the melted snow truly enhanced the signals at depth. Setting the Minelab ExII to "deep" and slowly going ... I was intent on covering the SAME areas as my last visit a month ago .... just slower.

The first find ... was a 1955 Hubley Flintlock Dueling Pistol....yes it is a toy...but you can only imagine the feeling uncovering it when the double flintlock hammers appeared in the soil! A neat set of pictures of one for sale in great shape is at http://www.nicholscapguns.com/graphics/scrapbook/hubley/flintlock-1.htm

The silver, pictured below is self explanatory – 1904 Barber Quarter, 1920 Standing Liberty Quarter, and a 1950 Dime. Both the Barber and the SLQ …. From the same hole! I’ve made a guess at the SLQ date based on the “0” which is clear and the fact that it could only be 1920 or 1930 and the 1930 date should have been more evident since that was when they recessed the numbers….right?

Indians – the better one is dated 1885 and low and behold after a real close examination the second (poor) one is dated 1882! The date were the only legible characters!

Then the surprise from another continent! The “Island Aurar 1946” is a five cent piece from ICELAND …. Minted in London at the time when Britain occupied Iceland during the war! How’d it end up in the Mid Hudson Valley, New York!?

Also .... a neat "Monroe Drivng Club Medallion" dated 1911. Last month Hollowpointred dug three of these at the same site. Originally I assumed that they were some sort of "car club" of those who frequented the horse race track and that they displayed these large medallions on the automobiles. Further research shows that around the country in the late 1800's and early 1900's "Driving Clubs" surfaced and were groups of people who encouraged and promulgated light harness racing at their own race tracks. They would host weekend "Matinees" of racing and family events at their tracks. It is conceivable then that this medallion was actually displayed on the carriages which were drawn by the horses (and occupied by the rider) on the track (not confirmed yet). A great example of the "Driving Club" issue and some photos are located at the following website http://www.la84foundation.org/SportsLibrary/Outing/Volume_35/outXXXV05/outXXXV05n.pdf

To round out the dig …. Eight-8 wheaties! Two 1910’s, one 1913, two 1917’s, two 1954’s and a 1957.

What an amazing and fun dig…. Thanks again to Bergie for originally getting permission to dig at the site …. And the great company!

Enjoy!
GoingDown 

Attachments

• gun1ss.jpg
    gun1ss.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 716
  • Barber2.jpg
    Barber2.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 693
  • SLQs.jpg
    SLQs.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 700
  • Dime-small.jpg
    Dime-small.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 697
  • 0070s.jpg
    0070s.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 696
  • icelands.jpg
    icelands.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 700
  • 0035s.jpg
    0035s.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 684
  • wheatiess.jpg
    wheatiess.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 672
Upvote 0

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
Re: Flintlock Dueling Pistol, SILVER, IH's & surprise from Iceland!

Fantastic finds! I wold agree with the SLQ being 1920 since in has an almost full shield outline! NICE!

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab

Great hunt! Like you, my heart would have stopped seeing the hammers from that (toy) pistol, too. Maybe a GI brought back that coin as a trinket from being stationed there during the war?????????? No matter, it's your's now. HH

Desertfox

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004

You had a great day, some fantastic finds, and just before the snow started falling too. Probably would have found even more stuff if you didn't have to stop for me to buy the sandwich. :-) Bergie

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000

Great finds! Back in the early '40's,I had what they called a pirate cap pistol that had duel hammers and barrels.Never saw one since.

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

What a great hunt! Just finding one of those coins would have made my day!

Nat

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250

pretty cool man! that spot is a great place to hunt! Bergie scored a homerun with that one!! very nice stuff! hopefully i will get the chance to come up and hunt with you guys again soon. Keith

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

Great finds!!

xlt nh

Jul 28, 2006
Cheshire, Mass
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, DFX 300

Great job! I have the same question as Keith about the driving medallion... ???...very cool piece of history!! :)

Thanks for sharing and HH,
Hank 8)

EARTHWORKS

Apr 30, 2005
Poughkeepsie, N.Y.

Wow some great coins there! Love the gun! Bet heart stopped when you dug that up.Silver looks like its in good shape.

topdog

Dec 2, 2007
Navarre, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye II Pinpointer

Fantastic finds!!!, What a great site to hunt, thanks for sharing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread