Flood Moss High Banking

improvmechanic

Jan 5, 2013
I'm new to this prospecting in the northwest. Any environment other than the desert really. I'm running a small recirculating highbanker (prospectors choice with the 1200 Gph pump). On the creek I visited today, one of the few legally open this time of year, I found some moss that gathered fine gravel during the last flood.

My question is does anyone have any ideas for freeing the gravel from this material without tearing it up? I don't want to leave a large footprint and give anyone a bad name. Keeping in mind it's out of the water and I don't have a dredge of course.

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was my experience that like pulling dandelions, if you don't get all the tiny roots, the moss grows back in a season or two. Never got nuggets, but a
surpising nr. of flakes and fines, and tons of black sands. The pansful carried to streamside seemed to be twice as heavy as regular screened material.

OP
OP
I

improvmechanic

Jan 5, 2013
Ya I thought it was some pretty nice lookin gravel. Course the mountains I was workin in are rich in iron and bedrock is close to the surface so blacks and everywhere.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread