Florida (2nd Seminole War/ Native American) finds today!

EagleEye1

Banned
Apr 2, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
I was torn between putting this under Today's finds or "what is this", but I pretty much know what it is, just not sure on exactly the Indian tribe regarding the bone artifact with a design in it (very very very uncommon for our local Natives here in this part of Central Florida). So, either it was Timucuan or such, which lived North of Lake George (N. Central Florida and into North FL), or Seminole Indian (Creek Indians mostly, who came in later to fill a void after the true Natives were gone).

The shoe sole. I wouldn't be surprised if it was from the 1950's, BUT, I very recently read that 2nd Seminole War soldier's wore shoes that weren't fit for a left or right foot, they were identical, thus that intrigues me as to the shape as well as the location found....

Buckshot from the 1830's-1840's in the photo as well? This was found in a way where I was thinking outside the box, but a very important thought process and it worked! Only question is, is it of 2nd Seminole War time period looking? One still stuck in wood and the penny for size reference.

The key's, eh, the way they're cut seems 1920's or newer to me, but I don't know much about keys.

And of course, I cleaned up the park! BUT, pull tabs were before my time, so perhaps I shouldn't view them as "modern trash...."

Thanks for any 411!

View attachment 1927458 View attachment 1927459 View attachment 1927460 View attachment 1927461

Upvote 6

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, but where is the design in the bone?

OP
OP
E

EagleEye1

Banned
Apr 2, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
I forgot to add regarding this post, found a bit of brick foundation under ground as well. My guess, blacksmith shop as closer to where they would have been needed. So, thank you Budweiser! :headbang:

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a suture line. Your bone is part of a skull. Gary

suture lines.jpg

OP
OP
E

EagleEye1

Banned
Apr 2, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a suture line. Your bone is part of a skull. Gary

View attachment 1927492

Wow, I was notified of this this Morning upon waking up via a text and link to this post. Under our State law, I had to notify the proper authorities asap in case it were to be human, it really doesn't appear to be for various reasons and the Natives often would use animal bones for tools or there are numerous fossils out there etc, how knows.

So, the Deputy came out and he doesn't think it is human, but it will be sent off to a lab and he asked if I wanted it back lol. I informed the Deputy that it's property of the location where found and I will turn it into them if they want just an animal bone fragment etc. I wished to post this as to not get anyone's hopes up on items found and confirm identification(s) of the items for the time era.

As for the shoe sole? Any ideas? Nothing like I have ever owned, and doesn't seem to curve for a left nor right foot as during the 2nd Seminole War, the soldiers had the same shoe shape for both feet. Can't remember where I read or saw that, but really added up imo.

Thanks again for the info and intriguing if indeed is human, as that adds MORE mystery to the location if they date it to that period of time. View attachment 1927527

Last edited:

Elvis

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Lafayette, Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Nokta Simplex+
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep us posted. Cool finds!!