has it all :o

GOOD LUCK 8)

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I really like this website. I can print out a graph for the entire month which is very easy to read. I print different ones depending on where I'm sailing to. Great, easy, and best of all.... FREE!

Search around the site and find the cool things you can do and print.

http://www.freetidetables.com/

Attachments

• Tide graph.jpg
    Tide graph.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 484

Gypsy huntress

Aug 10, 2007
West Palm Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
White XL Pro; Minelab Excalibur; Garrett Infinium; Garrett 250; Fisher CZ-3D; Tesoro Silver Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like that freetidetables site that GuyinBack posted. I am going to pass that around to all my hunting buddies.

P

paddy.mick

It rarely comes down to this but remember-Florida's NO-zone is the "mean water line" and so lowest tide line will technically not count. No one has ever witnessed this as an issue, but...
Instead, the biggest issue is that some Florida communities have separate MD laws and so some beaches are MD prohib. The local commission should know. Usually, it's the local beach dwellers that say it's prohib when really it is not-the best thing is to know the rules well to answer all queries-official and otherwise.
Enjoy, Clearwater is great!
Paddy

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
paddy.mick said:
It rarely comes down to this but remember-Florida's NO-zone is the "mean water line" and so lowest tide line will technically not count. No one has ever witnessed this as an issue, but...

Would you be so kind as to direct me to the Florida Statute that defines this. I know the one that says you can detect from the toe of the dunes to the, and I believe it said, high water mark or weed line...

But where is it that says I'm not supposed to be standing in the surf with a MD?

Thanks in advance.

P

paddy.mick

"mean high water mark" or "ordinary water line" are the descriptions of the point were material cannot be collected from the "submerged bottom lands". Since the state owns the underwater material, they have to define where the water stops and the land begins. Here's the state link I found-scroll down to Metal Detecting.

http://dhr.dos.state.fl.us/archaeology/underwater/finds/

Basically, parks prohibit MDing but coastal parks can allow it on the beach. Beaches not in parks are up to local community laws (some of which don't understand beach as public property!!), but the underwater is always the state's and is a permit process only. So if you're getting soggy, you may get hassled.
Paddy

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
The link took me to a Memo which concerns designated 'State Park Archaeological Sites'. This memo does not have anything to do with using a metal detector in the surf, as long as your not in a designated archaeological site.

Here is a copy of the actual rules, but it's limited to State Park lands and beaches.

Additionally, the ISOLATED FINDS program your making reference to is no longer on the books. The program was dropped if I recall.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,76615.0.html

Where can I find the information or law that defines the permit process listed below. I really don't want to break the law.

paddy.mick said:
but the underwater is always the state's and is a permit process only. So if you're getting soggy, you may get hassled.

If I need a permit to use my metal detector in the surf I would like to get one. Where do I do that and under which rule or law do I cite to begin my filing procedure?

Thanks again.

P

paddy.mick

It's a link to other documents, it's not a thing to do with Isolated Finds, just on the same page. The memo goes into detail about archaeological sites being completely prohibited but that only between the toe of the dune and the ordinary water line permitted otherwise.
The "Laws" section of the same site provides the statute for state waters and the permits that are involved--if it's under water, it's state property and cannot be worked unless you have a treasure permit (like the Fisher contractors).

Few ever mind a man in the surf with a MD. But pull up a spanish coin from the surf in one of the contractor areas and they'll take it from you (if they haven't already asked you to get back on land), or elsewhere-the state will want it (well, if they find out, which is a 1 in a million).

My point was only the technicalities of the law--illegal to collect in water. Reality is a little different, no worries, just cautionary.
Paddy

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Wreckdiver,

I have had the guidelines printed out for some time now and keep them handy when I'm water hunting. Thanks again for putting that together. The GPS coords are always handy to have when wondering the beaches.

paddy.mick seems positive that it's illegal for me/us to be in the water with a detector. I don't think so either, but something has him convinced. If he knows of something that has changed or been added, I would really like to see the statute or law so we can all update our procedures.

P

paddy.mick

Now we're splitting hairs. Sure, you can swim around or wade with a MD-that is not intrinsically illegal, but what is the point of using an MD in the water-just to hear the tune? Pick some thing up older than 50 years and you've just broken state law. Probably not a thing would come of it, but one should be aware.
Don't trust any of us for more than a discourse; the mere posting of information on TNet is not going to hold up when talking to Mr. state. It is easy to check their site, or better, I just call them about beach stuff (Gulf side mostly) and they're right reasonable with me. I normally talk to a young gal named Reena.
Paddy

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is allot of miss information about the legality of diving, and or using a metal detector in the water along the Florida coast. It is perfectly legal to recover anything less than 50 years old, and if you are lucky enough to happen upon anything older, just remember that it's against the law to recover it, until the necessary permits are acquired. The State of Florida did us all a grave injustice by getting rid of the isolated finds program.

Tom

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread