florida crackers gold coins

cpt scuba

Jul 17, 2006
ok here are what facts i know between 1845 and 1860 ..and after the civil war florida cow hunters as they were called rounded up cattle and drove them to punta rassa and tampa for shipment to cuba then a colony of spain .. they were paid in spanish gold and silver coin .. when i was a child of ten my great uncle showed me several coins given to him by his father he was 82 at the time and i was 10 ..it was 1970 .. i spent summers at my grandmothers farm in ft meade .. so what are the chances a least a few of these coins were lost ... or buried as was common practice with florida crackers .. is there any other florida locals out there how would like to get together this fall and do some looking ... or am i wrong about my facts

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Facts are definitely correct. A good book on the history of cattle ranching thru-out the 1800's is, "Florida Cowman", by Joe A. Ackerman, jr. There were few banks in those days, and most cattlemaen didnt trust them anyway. Most hid there dold coins right on the ranch.

Good hunting!

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Another story you may run across is the one about Bone Misel (sp) . He couldn't stand prosperity ,but
it is an interesting read .

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This history would spawn a lot of cache hunts, but I want to ask.............WHY do you refer to them as "crackers?"

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
THEY CARRIED LONG RAWHIDE WHIPS TO HERD THEIR CATTLE WITH -- and cracked them over the cows heads to steer em --if the cow moved the wrong way they "whipped" em till they turned -- they were known as "whip crackers" or just "crackers" for short

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
O.K. That sounds good. I wonder why muletrain operators were call Muleskinners out west. Maybe city folks thought they were skinning the mules with THEIR bullwhips. ;D

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shortstack said:
This history would spawn a lot of cache hunts, but I want to ask.............WHY do you refer to them as "crackers?"

Looking for a controversy? :D

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
there is a valid historical reason why florida cattlemen were called "crackers " aka "whip crackers" --- there is also a historically valid reason -- why farmers were called "red necks" ---farmers were out in the sun all day--- since the plow's reins were draped around their necks ---their collars were often pushed down exposing their necks --and their necks were often red from being sun burnt to a crisp --thus the term "red neck"

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We folks also got our necks red by just working outside, in the fields bending over chopping cotton, suckering tomatoes, hoeing peas, etc. That sun can play h... with the exposed skin.

The alternate reference to "crackers" stemmed from a very distasteful thing done with a piece of rope with a large knot tied in the end. Set fire to that knot, let it burn for a minute, then extinguish it and you had a poorman's (read that dumba$$'s) mace. Swing that thing at someone's head and....................well, that's another version of who and what a "cracker" was.

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
Hey Cap, contact Old Bridgendfarms. (Sorry Bridge, spelling is not my strong point) He is in your area and is one heck of a metal detector. Just be ready to work if you are going to stay up with him.

Shortstack posed a good and honest question, the only conflict was the response from buckleboy. :icon_scratch:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GrayCloud said:
Hey Cap, contact Old Bridgendfarms. (Sorry Bridge, spelling is not my strong point) He is in your area and is one heck of a metal detector. Just be ready to work if you are going to stay up with him.

Shortstack posed a good and honest question, the only conflict was the response from buckleboy. :icon_scratch:

Stirring the pot, GrayCloud?

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I looked at numerous sources and there is no definite agreement on the origin of the word "cracker", though the bullwhip story is among the most popular. I guess we'll never really know.

As to the poster's original question, there is chance you might find the odd coin along the cattle trail, but the said truth is most of those cowboys entered town with empty pockets, got paid, blew it all on booze and hookers, and left town with few if any coins in their pockets.

But if you can find those old cattle trails, I say search them! Who knows what you could find.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Muletrain operators were called muleskinners since the term “skinner” was slang for someone who might “skin” or outsmart a mule. As everyone knows, mules have a characteristic of being very stubborn so outsmarting them to make them move used skill, wit, and a type of determination.

OP
OP
C

cpt scuba

Jul 17, 2006
i am a 6 th generation fla cracker .. in my part of florida a cracker is any old time native .. and there are fewer of us every year .. as for the cracker cowboys your right they spent there hard earned money and booze and women .. and yes you might find a coin or 2 along the trail .. but i was thinking more of old homesteads ..... and cattle loading docks .. old train stations ... i know many of these have been developed .. but some are just like they were a 100 years ago

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chipveres,

There is lots of info on Jake Summerlin and many of the other original Florida cowmen in the book I referenced above. Read it if you get the chance.

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Nope, I am not stirring the pot. Just wondering why you were. :icon_scratch: :dontknow:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GrayCloud said:
Nope, I am not stirring the pot. Just wondering why you were. :icon_scratch: :dontknow:

I didn't say a word to you. You started up with the comments. Buzz off.

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Shortstack did not say a word to you either. :icon_scratch:

Don't get your pantie's in a wad. It will be okay, maybe. :dontknow:

Apologies to others here. :-[

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread