florida east coast sand depths.

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
anyone know the general depth of sand above hardpan along central east coast and south central east coast beaches?
is there a good way to track this other than judging by landmarks or found items?
I realize everything is shifting and moving but if noaa or someone else tracks this I would like to know. is there a site that tracks currents?

some areas/types of beaches would be more prone to erosion, some prone to adding sand , some would change more often than others, etc:
just looking for weapons to do battle with/circumvent mother nature.

chuck.

Upvote 0

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good question. I can tell you this much. I use the troughs as my main sand gauge. During the winter at low tide I can't cross any of them to the first bar at low tide without going to at least my chin, today at low tide I could reach that first sandbar in most every area without getting my chest wet, and in a few areas the water was only thigh deep, "in what was left of the trough". The other thing that happens up here in the summer, our low tide waterline "seems" to move out further simply because a lot of the winter troughs/cuts get completely filled in, so in essence the second winter sandbar becomes the first summer sand bar. Clearly we are talking a lot of summer sand. In the winter these bottoms are firm with a lot of shell pack, in the summer you can easily dig down 24" or more and never see a shell in your scoop. On the upper beach it's pretty much the same story, in the winter you can reach that nasty black sand fairly easy, in the summer you rarely see it when digging even the deepest/faintest coin responses, and this upper beach summer sand only gets deeper as you continue to approach the waterline. Up here anyway, most of the stuff is lost during the summer but we find the vast majority of what we find in the winter months once the summer sand has been stripped away from the beach and out of the troughs. When we do make a good find in the summer it is usually a fairly shallow and fairly recent drop. "Greenies & Reds are pretty much completely out of the picture.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread