Florida hunting -need new detector

DetectorOCD

Sep 22, 2010
Dallastown, PA
Detector(s) used
TESORO!
Hey guys,
I'm from PA and the nearest beach from me is hours away. I am planning on relocating to south Florida around Cape Coral later this year. I am a coinshooter up here, but obviously I am going to be jewellery hunting along the coast. Could I get by with a Sand Shark on these beaches or is there heavy iron?

Thanks! I can't wait to start a new life in sunny Florida!

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never hunted the Cape Coral area so I have no experience with Iron there. I would assume though that there isn't much iron on the beaches except in the way of hair pins which drive a Pulse crazy. The Sand Shark is a great pulse detector and very deep which is what you want where sand covers everything. If you get a Sand Shark, get the larger coil for it. If not going in the water the best unit is the Sov GT in my opinion because of the disc abilities and depth. :thumbsup:

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone here uses Excal 1000. I live 40 miles south of the cape.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ron lord said:
Everyone here uses Excal 1000. I live 40 miles south of the cape.
Hey ron, always good to see you!

I use the Excall also, never tryed the sandshark over there. Tried to hunt Pine Island area, just couldn't put that fishing pole down long enough! LOL! Rough rock and coral, everwhere.
Out on Gasparillo, in front of that beach resurant,(south beach resturant, I think) I found a ring one year. But, never really hung in the Cape Coral area.
Get on down here asap, you're gonna love it!

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice place to live but the economy there has taken a beating from what I've seen in the past few years, Several great places to detect and Naples is just down the road. Been there 6-7 times and iron was no problem, the problem was..can slaw for me. The best hunting and best finds are in the water there, I never had much luck in the dry. I would go for a water machine only, lots of hunters there, and most are seasoned Pros's..all that I seen hunting the dry were tourist.....When you get there give Ron Lord a Pm..Great guy, knows his stuff been hunting south west gulf for 30+ years, always will to share a few secrets..............

Killer Angel

Jan 17, 2011
SW Florida
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Excal, Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, us dry beach hunters are all tourist!!!!

The advice on this thread is all good. Most use Excals in the water or Sov Gts in the wet. Another forum member is knocking it dead with a Sand Shark about 100 miles north of Cape Coral. 100 rings year to date and counting!!!! I'd say go for it, but I'm not an Sand Shark owner. Before you plunk down the cash, call around to see what the real buy price is on the Excal and a White's Dual field PI. Let the math be your guide as all have an excellent reputation.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Go with the Sand Shark, and get the 8" coil (Sorry Sandman!). It is much, much easier to handle in the surf (will not flip up as much or get as heavy in the incoming/outgoing current, and (I believe) it is a teence-bit more sensitive to the itty-bitty gold. I have the new hardwired 8", and I have been digging 18" - 22" holes to get to some of my targets, so you ain't gonna lose THAT much depth! - Terry

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Howdy.

Have done a fair amount of beach detecting myself on Central Florida beaches and there's no question they can be pretty trashy.

The Excalibur, or the Sovereign GT (if you don't plan on going into the water) offer discrimination to knock out the iron. You'll still dig trash, but no hairpins. ;D

Of course, new those detectors cost $1000 to $1500. Not cheap, but find enough gold and they can pay for themselves in a season.

I've owned and used the Sand Shark also and its a great PI machine, though it is kind of heavy. I too prefer the 8" coil over the 10" coil because it is easier to pinpoint with the 8" and the weight feels more balanced with it, IMHO. Another good PI machine is the Detectorpro Pulse which is much lighter and has good depth, but drains batteries after about 8 hours of use.

Of course, the downside to PI detectors is the lack of any meaningful discrimination, so you will dig a lot of junk at good depths. And yes, that'll include hairpins and pieces of sparkler wire.

However, digging in the sand is much easier than digging in the dirt, so whichever detector you get, invest in a good, long handled sand scoop that has a kick plate at the bottom (very important). It will make your life much, much easier.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of small pieces of trash iron on our beaches, if you get a PI be prepared to dig a lot of trash..... Personally I would recommend an Excal, but if you do get the Sand Shark I would do like Sandman suggests and go with the larger coil, you will want the coverage....

I hunt in the water here with a 15 inch WOT coil spliced on my Excal and I can and do still swing it in the water.... Unless you want to admit a 63 year old man is able to swing a bigger coil in the water than you can... :tongue3: :laughing7:

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Befor the cat got her "Fluffy"-(Excal), I kicked TOTAL GOLD-BUTT, with a SandShark. You get good with the sounds. I was so shocked, did well enough, I got my "Fluffy"!

John up in Ill with minelab, on my first machine(excal), did advise me, because I burn through cable,(dry-rot and split), he said to "keep it out of the sun". I almost wanted to say, Dude, this is Florida, whad'ya mean? Keep it out of the sun, you cain't keep nothing outta the sun down here! (This machine goes everywhere with me).
I'm now conptemplating, sewing her a little lightweight,(like an umbrella), cover, or something, I have no clue? I do try to be very mindful, of not letting her bake in the sun, but I always was that way before, so I'm kinda :icon_scratch:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You just don't leave it in a closed up car every day, that will do the most damage to it down here....

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter said:
You just don't leave it in a closed up car every day, that will do the most damage to it down here....

Never did! Never do!
Learned that lesson 32 years ago, leaving shoes (nice shoes), in car. Baked 'em apart!
But, then what cat don't like to go shopping for new shoes!(I acutally can't STAND to hafta go shopping) hehehehehehehe
Some things you don't have to keep teaching yourself over and over and........... ::)

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Get yourself a minelab excal II and list it as property on home owners insurance. And, squartrade will give you 3 year warranty plus accidental damage. I got both. It finds targets so deep that I have to give up on them some times. HH. BTW...go new. -Joe

DetectorOCD said:
Hey guys,
I'm from PA and the nearest beach from me is hours away. I am planning on relocating to south Florida around Cape Coral later this year. I am a coinshooter up here, but obviously I am going to be jewellery hunting along the coast. Could I get by with a Sand Shark on these beaches or is there heavy iron?

architecad

Nov 25, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX-II, GTI 2500, Sea hunter, Eagle Eye two box
DetectorOCD said:
Hey guys,

Detector OCD

All people I know that own a Excalibur always have problem with those machine. It could be a good machine detecting but it is too trouble maker. Try Garrett infinium, it's superior to Excalibur. :icon_thumright:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
architecad said:
DetectorOCD said:
Hey guys,

Detector OCD

All people I know that own a Excalibur always have problem with those machine. It could be a good machine detecting but it is too trouble maker. Try Garrett infinium, it's superior to Excalibur. :icon_thumright:

I have owned 3 Excals, and still own 2.....DetectorOCD if your down my way, Orlando area, give me a heads up a couple weeks earlier and we can get together to do a beach hunt, I will loan you my spare Excal and you can try it first hand with out buying first.... I can't guarantee you will find gold, but I can guarantee it will be running top notch, and it has the S12 coil....

TH

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Treasure_Hunter said:
A lot of small pieces of trash iron on our beaches, if you get a PI be prepared to dig a lot of trash..... Personally I would recommend an Excal, but if you do get the Sand Shark I would do like Sandman suggests and go with the larger coil, you will want the coverage....

I hunt in the water here with a 15 inch WOT coil spliced on my Excal and I can and do still swing it in the water.... Unless you want to admit a 63 year old man is able to swing a bigger coil in the water than you can... :tongue3: :laughing7:
63 years of age ..........God TH your just a young kid..............

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keppy said:
Treasure_Hunter said:

63 years of age ..........God TH your just a young kid..............

Keppy, well actually it is only 62 years and 7 months. ;D 63 going on 19, refuse to grow up.....Been spending 4-5 days a week at the gym 90+ mins a day working out to try and get in the best shape possible so I hopefully will be healthy to enjoy my "middle age"... ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread