Florida Keys rules

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I got this information off Matt Mattson's site. It is several years old. Does anybody know if it is still valid?

"You can now do a non-intrusive search in the Keys without a permit! If you find an interesting area, you can apply for a search permit with limited excavation (hand fanning with metal detectors) within that specified search area. If you start turning up artifacts, you now apply for a full recovery permit. Now for the earthshaking news: all treasure found is owned by the salvor 100%! Unique finds that the state wants can either be exchanged for like value, or the salvor can continue to posses them in perpetuity (so you could lease this item to museums etc., and still collect on the find). Oh, one other thing: no cost for permits!"

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are no permits expressly required for the use of a metal detector underwater or on dry land. However, if you are specifically searching for a shipwreck, then there are permit requirements.

Q

P

pvet

As a permit holder with the FKNMS I can tell you that the rules as you know them are definitely changed. There are quite a # of permits issued to date and I wouldn't want to be found working another mans site so first I would call the FKNMS and speak to John Halas or Steve Beckwith and give them a location of interest, they will let you know if you could proceed. Once you find any significant finds than an archaeologist must be brought in and thats not cheap. There are reports to file lawyers to pay logs to keep and than theres theissue of ownership , our gov gave sovereign rites back to Spain so if you do find something you probably wont be able to keep it. But dont give up the ghost, dreams do come true. To quote from treasure island" Treasure Treasure everywhere and you dont need a map to find it, all you have to do is look in the right place"
Where are you looking upper or lower Keys.
Phil

keysync

Jan 24, 2006
Lake Placid, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to know this info also. I frequent the keys on vacation but have never had a chance to go searching for treasure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread