Florida Law "50 years old" ?

S

Sand Digger

Florida Law "50 years old" ?

After reading a post by wreckdiver im curious. As of may 2006 what happens when your lucky enough to find a gold coin on the beach from the 1715 wrecks? With the new law are we not allowed to remove it? What's the process here? Thx in advance.

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Re: Florida Law "50 years old" ?

That's a good hypothetical question. ;)

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CaptainZossima said:
IF you find a gold coin in Florida, you keep it. The govt here is corrupt as hell. We've got 'blue' roofs still since last hurricane season and the doubling of insurance rates by an Insurance Monopoly endorsed by no other than another Bush, Jeb. Keep the Gold, seal your lips.

Cap Z.
Exactly,what they(state) don't know won't hurt 'em.Loose lips sink ships!State Farm are crooks and Allstate isn't any better.Screw 'em all :) "I gotta get out of this place,if it's the last thing I ever do!" sing it now..... ;D

Will_detect4food

May 2, 2006
Gold Coast

I think if a person was to find say a " cob " which as we all know is gold or silver and more than 50 years old. and you put this in your pocket you would be best off to keep your mouth shut till you get home. then say it was inherited from your grandfather

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yeah, I'd pretty much "take care" of the coin(s) personally if I were you and admire the historical value of it/them. If you give it up, you'll never see it again and the history of that coin will be forever lost to the government. Tough choice, huh? ;)

Bran <><

DinDaeng

Aug 2, 2006

OK, I had a similar question with a slightly different spin: Is there any way to look for Spanish gold/artifacts etc. in Florida (above or under water) that lets you keep your find legally, other than getting a salvage license?
E.g. what happens if you find something more than 3 miles offshore?
Also, any thoughts on becoming an "investor" with a salvage operation where they allow you to participate for a (limited) time?

Thanks!

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DinDaeng, outside the three mile limit the rules of engagement (ROE), do change. Then it is outside the waters of the States jurisdiction. However, you are still in US territorial waters out to 12 miles out. This is essentially when maritime law will be the order of the day.
Go to another thread below this one titled "Florida", for more of the ROE for the state and treasure hunting.
As for investing in salvers operations, some are legitimate, and some are not. Just do your home work before you put any money down.

Tom

DinDaeng

Aug 2, 2006

Tom,

Many thanks for your reply. I had seen your excellent post on Florida state laws (one of only few bookmarks that I keep) which actually led me to post my question. It seems that the options for finding and legally keeping anything from the Spanish fleets are getting fewer and fewer.

To give you some background on my motivation: I am not interested in going for some big fortune or any kind of commercial success. I am a passionate scuba diver, not (yet) a treasure hunter who has the idea stuck in his head that he'll try to find something special for his loved ones that is not just bought from some store, but has a direct personal connection, and that hopefully will be passed through the generations (along the lines of "your grandpa found this on the bottom of the ocean"). Of course I can't deny being intrigued by the aspects of history and adventure either...
I am aware that chasing this dream will require some significant dedication, but being a complete newby I could use some pointers to get started in the right direction since there seem to be a lot of roads that are definititely not worth taking for what I am trying to do.

I appreciate all info!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread