Florida Man Aims at "Snake" - Shoots Friend

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Man aims at snake, shoots friend instead

By Susan Jacobson, Orlando Sentinel September 27, 2013

An 18-year-old Seminole County man will have a permanent souvenir of a late-night encounter with a snake: a bullet in his thigh.

Brandon Rapé was in a pickup truck with two friends Thursday about 11 p.m. when they pulled to the side of Sylvan Lake Drive near Sanford so that Rapé could answer the call of nature, a Sheriff's Office report states.

The men saw a large snake in the road, and Jared Hemphill, also 18, decided to shoot it with a semiautomatic rifle that belongs to Dustin Downer, 21.

Hemphill heard a noise in the bushes and assumed it was the snake, so he fired the Remington Speedmaster and accidentally struck Rapé in the left thigh, he told investigators.

Man aims at snake, shoots friend instead - Orlando Sentinel

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
Man aims at snake, shoots friend instead

By Susan Jacobson, Orlando Sentinel September 27, 2013

An 18-year-old Seminole County man will have a permanent souvenir of a late-night encounter with a snake: a bullet in his thigh.

Brandon Rapé was in a pickup truck with two friends Thursday about 11 p.m. when they pulled to the side of Sylvan Lake Drive near Sanford so that Rapé could answer the call of nature, a Sheriff's Office report states.

The men saw a large snake in the road, and Jared Hemphill, also 18, decided to shoot it with a semiautomatic rifle that belongs to Dustin Downer, 21.

Hemphill heard a noise in the bushes and assumed it was the snake, so he fired the Remington Speedmaster and accidentally struck Rapé in the left thigh, he told investigators.

Man aims at snake, shoots friend instead - Orlando Sentinel

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo

Guns don't kill people. Stupid people with guns do.

L.C.

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He might have thought his buddy was studying LAW most resemble snakes. Biddy eyes slimy and no Ba!!s:laughing7: What's the point just another idiout who shots at sounds.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Wow. What a downer. These guys do sound intelligent enough. I know! I'll bet if instead of a rifle, if they had, say, a cross bow, or a baseball batt, or a blow dart....I'm sure there would have been a much better ending to this story.
That darn gun....we need to get "it".

Unclebuck257

Aug 31, 2013
North Central Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Garrett Carrot PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OB,

You forgot to mention the many, many, idiot DRUNK teenagers and others who kill and mame others while driving every year. That total number far exceeds the number shot by a friend while peeing in the woods. Now, if you had posted a story about a teenager who was shooting from his pick up truck, while driving drunk across railroad tracks in front of a train, and then shot his buddy who was peeing in the woods, you might have the beginnings of another "perfect country song"!! Add a grandmother, and mention prison and you'd have one, I think! LMBO!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Old Bookaroo

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Unclebuck257:

If you like country music, rent The Last Ride (2012). I highly recommend it!

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo

PS: I didn't forget to mention anything. The story speaks for its own self.

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
It's all fun and games until someone looses an eye! :laughing7:

Any person who handles firearms should complete a hunters safety course. I am pretty sure they cover "Don't Shoot at A Noise in the Bushes, it might be your buddy taking a leak". Thankfully these idiots never killed each other........but that means they will only reproduce.:icon_scratch: One can only hope they learned from their mistake, that way they can teach their children the right way to handle a firearm.

L.C.:icon_thumleft:

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Its just Darwins theory in action.Nothing more nothing less.

Nature's way of thinning the herd of folks who constantly pick stupid friends.

Hey, at least he's alive so that he gets a second chance to pick better friends, or ---

Maybe next time they'll go out joyriding with a few sticks of TNT...

TheCoinKid

Apr 16, 2013
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Now, if you had posted a story about a teenager who was shooting from his pick up truck, while driving drunk across railroad tracks in front of a train, and then shot his buddy who was peeing in the woods, you might have the beginnings of another "perfect country song"!! Add a grandmother, and mention prison and you'd have one, I think! LMBO!!

I was drunk, the day my mom got out of prison.................

OP
OP
Old Bookaroo

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Hardly accurate representations of Darwin's Theory.

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
they sound like gator food waiting for the dinner bell

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
I hate snakes. I would have opened fire as well. In this war against snakes we will suffer a few casualties.

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
As a friend once said when the cop wanted him to describe the snake he shot at in his yard (with a bb gun, but still illegal within the city limits):

Floyd said: "They's only 4 kinda snakes I know of ... BIG uns, little uns, live uns and dead uns. That'n was BIG and alive."

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Folks,

In the words of some unknown wise person......"Life is hard.....but it's harder if you're stupid."

Regards + HH

Bill

Last edited:

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whatever the other 9 opinions were, whatever dumazz ain't gotta enough sense to determine a real life threat and shooting of an aquatainance, well, good luck, to ya!
some ppl should have enough sense not to pick up their guns!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread