2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure on eBays policy but I have seen them listed as "obsolete" on eBay. Not sure if that'll fit their policy though. I suppose they could get in the "wrong hands". Are they old?

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is the law. You can read it and decide how you would like to proceed.

Basically sub section (1) pertains to wearing the badge, making it unlawful.

Sub section (3) is your conflict. It's why eBay dumped the listing.

Unlawful use of police badges or other indicia of authority.—It is unlawful for any person:(1) Unless appointed by the Governor pursuant to chapter 354, authorized by the appropriate agency, or displayed in a closed or mounted case as a collection or exhibit, to wear or display any authorized indicia of authority, including any badge, insignia, emblem, identification card, or uniform, or any colorable imitation thereof, of any federal, state, county, or municipal law enforcement agency, or other criminal justice agency as now or hereafter defined in s. 943.045, which could deceive a reasonable person into believing that such item is authorized by any of the agencies described above for use by the person displaying or wearing it, or which displays in any manner or combination the word or words “police,” “patrolman,” “agent,” “sheriff,” “deputy,” “trooper,” “highway patrol,” “Wildlife Officer,” “Marine Patrol Officer,” “state attorney,” “public defender,” “marshal,” “constable,” or “bailiff,” which could deceive a reasonable person into believing that such item is authorized by any of the agencies described above for use by the person displaying or wearing it. (read more on the official Florida site)

(3) To sell, transfer, or give away the authorized badge, or colorable imitation thereof, including miniatures, of any criminal justice agency as now or hereafter defined in s. 943.045, or bearing in any manner or combination the word or words “police,” “patrolman,” “sheriff,” “deputy,” “trooper,” “highway patrol,” “Wildlife Officer,” “Marine Patrol Officer,” “marshal,” “constable,” “agent,” “state attorney,” “public defender,” or “bailiff,” which could deceive a reasonable person into believing that such item is authorized by any of the agencies described above,

OP
OP
C

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
white's BeachHunter 300/DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=191517061073 To look like this one the detective badge and one day sergeant badge the other one is round in shape and is a 2000 millennium badge can't find that one anywhere most likely going to take them to the police station today to see if I'm allowed to sell them or if they are still in use I hope that link worked

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
That badge is not obsolete, it's just well worn. Spent a lot of time in someone's wallet. It is precisely what the statute is speaking about.

OP
OP
C

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the reply if that is the case then I will take it to the police station and turn it in

OP
OP
C

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do you think about the 2000 millennium badge I will try to post a picture later when I get home from work

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
What do you think about the 2000 millennium badge I will try to post a picture later when I get home from work

If it's from 2000, it would follow under the same statute. If it's anything a reasonable person could mistake for a real badge, it falls under this statute.

If you want to keep and display it, just encase it in an acrylic block, something you could never pin on a shirt, or put in a wallet. That renders it ineffective to be used inappropriately.

Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's from 2000, it would follow under the same statute. If it's anything a reasonable person could mistake for a real badge, it falls under this statute.

If you want to keep and display it, just encase it in an acrylic block, something you could never pin on a shirt, or put in a wallet. That renders it ineffective to be used inappropriately.
Still can't sell it on eBay though. I had an FBI badge encased in lucite. They pulled it off too.

DSC02428.jpg

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
They error on the side of caution. It's possible to remove the casing and then do bad things with the badge, they just don't want any part of it.

With all the lawyers lurking about, I can't blame them.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They error on the side of caution. It's possible to remove the casing and then do bad things with the badge, they just don't want any part of it.

With all the lawyers lurking about, I can't blame them.
I hear you. I can find any number of fake badges that look like the real thing online. Lest we forget, China will supply us with any knock off we will ever need, want or desire. Maybe all the lawyers should move to China... permanently. They deserve each other.

OP
OP
C

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I understand I don't want no part of dealing with the law myself I figured I could sell them because that one sold on eBay and it went through that's the only reason why I put them up there if I would've known otherwise I would just turned them in which I will be doing this afternoon going by there and asking them if they're obsolete or keep them as Display depending on what the sheriff department says

OP
OP
C

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's the pictures of the actual badges ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1427302582.587396.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1427302600.429415.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1427302611.400791.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1427302620.822269.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1427302636.080555.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1427302647.536530.jpg

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you really want, I have these I can't sell. I sold the jacket but then I got flagged on the uniforms. A bummer, I don't know what to do with two sets of uniforms! I emailed the guy that bought the jacket but never heard a response back I will throw them in the closet until I find something to do with them.

image-158343365.jpg

image-985652886.jpg

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
People trade and collect the patches. No problem with that, just not with the shirt. I'd cut the patches off and use the shirts as rags. The FHP patch is pretty common so probably not much of a market there.

3770 is an employee ID number. They will be real interested in how these got loose. Please keep us up to date.

OP
OP
C

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I just left the sheriffs department and they belong to a captain he will be calling me tonight so I can return them he said he would reimburse me for whatever I spent but since it wasn't much I think I'll just give it back to him as a kind suggest and I will ask him more about the laws

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, it will be interesting to hear how they left the Captain's possession. It should be a neat story!

OP
OP
C

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well the officer just left no exciting story he says they are legal to possess you just cannot display in public as for as selling them he said he was not sure but I assume if it's illegal to possess them then you can sell them as collector items based on what i was told they weren't supposed to be sold at the estate sale they were sentimental value to him so I just gave them back to him without charging him anything if I'm lucky maybe he'll put a little free pass by my name[emoji106][emoji41]

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Good Karma has no price.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread