OP
newnan man

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't know how the pic of the Native American stone axes got in there. I must have clicked on it by accident. If someone knows how to remove it be my guest!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You just lodged one in my head those pics are really cool I just looked out my window here in Mi it looks nothing and I mean nothing like that lol That's really awesome boy I need a vacation. Tommy

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like the scenery pics. But your accidental pic interests me more. Those artifacts look like they'd been in a box a long time. Is there a story there?

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for this post and the updated image.
Didn't think those NA artifacts looked anything like a Key deer! They are amazing to see in person because they are about the size of a hound or large Springer Spaniel.

ps. You really had me going trying to think of which spoil island to race to before the axes were all gone. :laughing7:

OP
OP
newnan man

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I like the scenery pics. But your accidental pic interests me more. Those artifacts look like they'd been in a box a long time. Is there a story there?
Yes, long story short is that a museum here in Florida had been donated over the years lot's of artifacts, minerals, fossils, etc. They had no room to display everything and were planning on selling the extra items and use the money for renovations on the bldg. I have a friend who is a paleontologist & they were using him to do some of the pricing. He wanted me to help him with the artifacts since they are not something he was real familiar with.
Everything was in boxes and catalogued quite well. What we soon realized was that everything potentially valuable was catalogued but the item was missing. This was true with all items. All gem grade minerals were gone same with valuable fossils such as teeth, vertebrae and so forth.
This was true of the artifacts as well. Any potentially valuable point listed was not in the box. Lot's of field grade stuff of minor value and these big axe's which were nice but maybe to big to sneak out in a pocket? Most work was preformed by volunteers and so maybe one helped themselves to these items stored away in the back rooms. I have heard horror stories of people dying and leaving amazing collections to museums only to have them disappear in a few months.

OP
OP
newnan man

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for this post and the updated image.
Didn't think those NA artifacts looked anything like a Key deer! They are amazing to see in person because they are about the size of a hound or large Springer Spaniel.

ps. You really had me going trying to think of which spoil island to race to before the axes were all gone. :laughing7:

The deer are cute and beg for treats. Although you're not supposed to feed them I admit to sneaking them a carrot or two! The spoil
islands have fossils on them from being dredged up from the riverbeds but I've never found anything real nice, a few vertebrae and sharks teeth.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IL State Museum, 1970, a high school student who was a part time janitor is caught selling museum Samari swords out the back door. Berlin Germany, 1980's, priceless Iron Cross military emblems from the 1800's stolen, never found.

I'd never give anything to a museum. Ever. People who work at museums, who are generally good people, have no skin in the game. None of their money is tied up in artifacts. That's why private collections don't get pilfered...the owners have skin in the game and guard their possessions judiciously. Gary

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, long story short is that a museum here in Florida had been donated over the years lot's of artifacts, minerals, fossils, etc. They had no room to display everything and were planning on selling the extra items and use the money for renovations on the bldg. I have a friend who is a paleontologist & they were using him to do some of the pricing. He wanted me to help him with the artifacts since they are not something he was real familiar with.
Everything was in boxes and catalogued quite well. What we soon realized was that everything potentially valuable was catalogued but the item was missing. This was true with all items. All gem grade minerals were gone same with valuable fossils such as teeth, vertebrae and so forth.
This was true of the artifacts as well. Any potentially valuable point listed was not in the box. Lot's of field grade stuff of minor value and these big axe's which were nice but maybe to big to sneak out in a pocket? Most work was preformed by volunteers and so maybe one helped themselves to these items stored away in the back rooms. I have heard horror stories of people dying and leaving amazing collections to museums only to have them disappear in a few months.

That's a shame that items have gone missing. The remainders are awesome. That little Key Deer is cool.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice photos and cool relics! :icon_thumleft:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been a while since I had a campfire on a beach.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread