Florida Seminole Wars 1792-1859 (site wont last long)

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Florida Seminole Wars 1792-1859 (site won't last long)

This site is a good one for information about the Seminole Wars in Florida.It lists forts,battles,articles, etc. county by county.The server for this site is going down permanently on May 1,2007,so it won't last too much longer.If you want any of the info. contained therein,youd better download it now while you still can.Here's the link-http://tfn.net/~cdk901/index.html

Patrol

Dec 4, 2006
Northeast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Whites Surf II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Florida Seminole Wars 1792-1859 (site won't last long)

I live near many of these sites and believe me they would throw you under the jail if you were caught near them with a metal detector. Many of them are on State land or incorporated in a preserve or park that has historical significance.

Believe me, when I drive past these sites, my mind goes through all the possibilities but most of them are watched closely and are fenced.

Daydream

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well its good to daydream isn't it? ;D The site I have listed as well as many other posts in this section is for information purposes only.What you choose to do with that information is up to you.
For most people many of these places are off limits i'm sure.However that is not true for all people.Case in point-Just last summer I was in Georgia and was allowed to detect an area that is off limits to all detecting.I was allowed to detect it because someone in my family was friends with a caretaker of the place.Certain conditions may apply to someone else as far as any of these places go.
By the way, the entire state has places listed so I guessing that anyone living in Florida lives by many of them.If your referring to the actual forts,i'm sure the vast majority of them are off limits to this type of activity.I can also tell you that there are some forts whose locations are not listed on there.Besides just because you can't hunt the Actual historical site listed,doesn't mean you can't obtain permission to hunt adjacent or nearby that location.Also,I know of at least one historical marker that is not even posted in the actual spot of the battle so.....
All in all,I know most of the "good" places in Florida is off limits to detecting,as in many states.Nowadays,you have to think out of the box sometimes when trying to find places of historical significance to hunt.I'm not talking about breaking any laws,it's not worth that.Let's just say,there is more than one way to skin a cat. ;)

lakillian

Dec 29, 2006
Winfield, WV
Detector(s) used
Exp II, Prism V, Ace 250

Thank you for the information Dig! You are so helpful to your fellow Floridians. I live in Middleburg in Clay. How would I find out where the actual fort was? With topo maps?

Lori

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

lakillian said:
Thank you for the information Dig! You are so helpful to your fellow Floridians. I live in Middleburg in Clay. How would I find out where the actual fort was? With topo maps?

Lori
I think you'd be better off going to the local library and searching the archives,looking at maps of that time period and going from there to get a better idea as to where the actual fort stood.It supposedly stood where the north and south forks of Black creek join.That area looks like it's pretty rural still.The creeks could possibly have changed course since the time of the Indian Wars that is why old maps are the best to look at.Compare the old maps with new ones and see how they match up.I'm gonna list a few websites for you to check out concerning Clay county history.The more you know about local history the better your chances of knowing where to hunt.The first is just a general history of Middleburg-http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A8292110#footnote10.
This one is for the Clay county archives and research center.Contact number of the local Historian is listed on the left as well as the address and hours of operation-
http://72.14.235.104/search?q=cache:2rkeQLcv8NMJ:www.claycountygov.com/Archives.htm+fort+heilman&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=12&gl=us.
The next one lists all the locations of historical markers in your county with a brief history of each one.http://www.flheritage.com/preservation/markers/markers.cfm?ID=clay.
The last one is a map showing the supposed location of Fort Heilman,also lists the Lat.and Long.of it.Is it the real location or just the historical marker? I don't know? More work to be done on your end with this one.Hint-If you hit satellite on the map and hit the zoom button (the plus sign) several times over and over you can get a pretty good idea of the location
http://www.lat-long.com/Florida/Fort-Heilman-historical_307409.html.
I hope something here helps. :)

lakillian

Dec 29, 2006
Winfield, WV
Detector(s) used
Exp II, Prism V, Ace 250

Oh my gosh Oh my gosh !!! You are so wonderful to be helping me!! I know exactly where Fort Heilman stood! That is like 1 mile from me. Now if I could just get back in those woods LOL. I need to find out who I need to get permission from!

Thank you so very much again,

Lori

F

fortsiteman

good post and research.. diggum...i have hunted a few of these places listed...but its been yrs ...25 yrs ...lol..so many of these sites are lost to us...to hunt or enjoy in other ways.....developement mostly...change of ownership....mistakes made by some of the people who hunted these sites earlier and left bad impressions on land owners through false representation ect...and other mistakes as well! im new to this site...i went to a few links you provided...bravo to you...i have recently just picked up an ex 2 ...doing the learning curve now...its a wee bit better than the detectors i have used in the past...and that are in my garage...haha... older garretts and whites vlf machines...still...they will get quite deep into the ground...just no bells and whistles like the detectors of today....im thinking i will look into some of the places i have been way back then.....laws have changed and sites are gone...but it is possable as you say to hunt adjoining areas and maybe still do pretty good....time will tell....smile, fortsiteman

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

First let me say that it's good to have you with us fortsiteman and I hope you stick around.This is a great site with many good people.It's almost like a big family here! :D I'm glad to hear you've got the detecting bug back and have purchased a new machine to hunt with.Thanks for the comments and good luck to you.
-diggummup :)

F

fortsiteman

thanks diggum...ill probably be here for awhile...you know....once the detecting bug has lit and bitten....it sort of just "gets in your blood"....to do well...it takes time,research.....and patience...haha...i talked to state park people today...and although i really knew the answer...i asked what their stance was on detecting...naturally they said...you cant do it in the park...or remove "things" from here....but when i asked about adjoining property...like the other side of the road or river ect...they said...if its private property ect...then what you do is between you and the landowner! so.......now where did i put those old maps...lol...which brings me to another subject....we read stories and articles about how someone could possably forget how to get back to a gold mine in a canyon they found...or how you could not be able to go back to a place you had been detecting in the past...(like a woods area)...well im here to tell ya....its very easy....if its been a long time...things change....developement...natural disasters...homes being built at alarming rates, roads paved and the course changed....then there is the human mind.....lol....the pictures we paint in our mind of how something looked long ago...certain tree's we used for direction ect....i went to a site 6 months ago...i hadnt been to in many yrs....way out in the woods along a riverbank....when i pulled my boat up on the bank....i thought i was in the wrong place....but it couldnt be....cause the same landmark was still across the other side of the river....what had changed......nothing...except there were planted pines for 500 yards in all directions....now if only i had got up there when they did all the clearing.....ummmmmmm..now the trees are 25 ft tall....or more....i didnt try detecting....but you never know...maybe that tilling and clearing brought up some really good stuff from just out of detector range in the past....something to rethink maybe...?.and could warrent a trip back....smile, and have a great day..... fortsiteman

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This site was supposed to go down on May 1,2007.I notice it's still up.For any that are interested.Much historical information regarding the Seminole Wars in Florida.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Site is gone for good.I'm glad I save it all. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions