Florida Shipwrecks

K

Kev

HI everyone

I am a complete newbie but would like to start researching the Florida shipwrecks. The 1715 and 1733 fleets are the most interesting to me. Can anyone recommend any books or what are the best/most up to date books? I plan to eventually go out and dive the wrecks - but research must come first. Are there any other promising wrecks along the Florida, Alabama and Mississippi coasts?

Also any comments on the Florida salvage laws would be helpful. From some of the post I have read they are a bear to deal with.

Thanks Guys!

Jimi D Pirate

Oct 28, 2004
Orlando, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000 + AQUA PULSE
Hi Kev,
Bob "Frogfoot" Weller has quite a few books out that will bring you up to speed. I just finished reading "The DreamWeaver" a biography he wrote on Mel Fisher. " Galleon Hunt" is about the life story of Art McKee considered the "Grandfather" of salvage in the Florida Keys? "Galleon Alley" he talks about all the dives he and others have done on the 1733 fleet. "Shipwrecks near Wabasso Beach" is another one that list the locations of most of the 1715 wrecks, as well as others, (five have never been found). He relates the history behind each shipwreck.? A lot of information in all his books and yes treasure is still there!. There are many other great authors that have written many books about the subject. These are just a few that I have recently read.
Regards
Jimi

Jimi D Pirate

Oct 28, 2004
Orlando, Florida
Detector(s) used
You can sport dive on any of those wrecks whenever you like, remember to stay 300 feet from any boat, but you better not be hunting for treasure and have any equipment to do so, for those areas are all leased. However you can sub-contract or possible hire on as a crew member with one of the Capts. The beach it's open range except for federal and state parks, most will not allow detecting unless you personally lost something in the sand and you know approx. where it's at. Give Taffi Fisher a call at the Mel Fisher Museum in Sebastian, Florida for information on the lease. She'll send you a c-pac with all the information.
Regards
Jimi

OP
OP
K

Kev

Thanks Guys for the replies

I think that's what I need to know. I'll check out Bob Weller's books. Does anyone now what the most recent book is?

Jimi D Pirate

Oct 28, 2004
Orlando, Florida
Detector(s) used
Kev,

I believe that would be " Galleon Alley" The 1733 Spanish Treasure Fleet. copyright was in 2001
According to Bob one of his best!

Jimi

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions