FLORIDA TREASURES

Jimi D Pirate

Oct 28, 2004
Orlando, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000 + AQUA PULSE
Florida treasures waiting to be found

* Stories of Florida treasures are dominated by accounts of buried pirate treasure and sunken Spanish galleons, both of which largely antedate indigenous American coinage. Undoubtedly there are more to be located. Nearly all finds have been associated with Spanish treasure fleet wrecks and not with pirates. The treasure-hunting community is particularly active along the Florida coast, and numerous shops offer Scuba equipment, electronic treasure detectors, guidebooks, and other useful items. Best to keep detectors out of any lease areas

* Fowler's Bluff on the Gulf Coast may be a productive site for the seeker of pirate treasure.

* At the headwaters of Carter's Mill Creek in the northern part of the state, My Stompin Grounds Indians may have cached a fortune in gold coins received from the British as payment for their depredations on settlers. I have done lots of research on this one, spent many moons in these woods and might add ... found many indian artifacts and chiggers!

* At Amelia Island there may be much buried pirate treasure. This is for IVAN

* F.L. Coffman reported that "an old treasure hunter, Bill Sneed," found $625,000 in gold bullion and coins at the mouth of the Suwanee River, a part of a treasure of gold coins valued at $5,000,000. The present writer knew Bill Sneed, who in the 1950s operated the Wilmary Motel in Lakeland, Florida, and recalls that he enjoyed regaling his acquaintances with tall tales, but had relatively few rare coins as evidence to verify his finds.

*Jose Gaspar, better known as Gasparilla the pirate :icon_pirat:, is said to have buried many treasures along the Gulf Coast. In modern times his name has been given to an annual festival in the Tampa-St. Petersburg area.

*Near Fort Walton on Choctawhatchee Bay on the Gulf Coast, pirate Billy Bowlegs may have cached many gold and silver coins. :icon_pirat: OLD BOWLEGGED BILLY :icon_pirat:

*On the bottom beneath the sparkling waters of Silver Springs, 72 degrees year round near Ocala, are coins tossed by tourists including, perhaps, some dating from the 1920s and 1930s or even earlier.

*In his History Under the Sea, 1965, I bet Kip read this one Mendel Peterson gave advice concerning potentially profitable sites for undersea treasure exploration, noting: "The reefs of the Florida Keys and coast of Florida north to Cape Kennedy [Cape Canaveral], which is one of the richest spots." Further: "Almost any bar lying near harbor approaches on the Atlantic coast will yield sites. On the eastern side of the Florida Passage to the Bahamas formed a dangerous barrier for ships, and these reefs and keys are littered with sites." I thought this was a native secret! :wink:

ToyMan

Jul 25, 2005
Jimi D

Interesting scenario regarding William F Sneed of Lakeland. According to the below newspaper articles, there seemed to be some controversy as to what was really found.

Sept. 10 1953 - Two boys find coins and large brass key - Sneed hooks up with them.
Sept. 12 1953 - Picture of Sneed with coins and key.
Nov 24 1953 - Article indicates 4500 gold and 3500 silver coins - Where did these counts come from???
Nov 25 1953 - (Tampa Times) Count goes down to 30 coins. ???
Nov 25 1953 - (Orlando Sentinel) Sneed says his remarks were misinterpreted and there was no "big find". Said he was half-asleep when being interviewed by WMBR TV's Tommy Tucker and doesn't recall what he told reporters. Sneed says in this article that he found 2 gold coins.

This whole scenario is very interesting and could be interpreted as a cover-up or just plain media hype. I myself think there was a significant find.

If you can't read the articles below, hold the ctrl key down and press the + (plus sign) on your keyboard. Pictures should enlarge with each time you press the + sign. The - (minus sign) will reduce the pictures back to their original size. If that does not work on your PC, you can just download them and view them with IE any photo software.

Attachments

• sept 10 1953.JPG
    sept 10 1953.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 1,179
  • Sept 12 1953.JPG
    Sept 12 1953.JPG
    30.9 KB · Views: 1,098
  • Nov 24 1953.JPG
    Nov 24 1953.JPG
    23.8 KB · Views: 1,089
  • Nov 25 1953.JPG
    Nov 25 1953.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 1,100
  • Nov 25 1953 Part 1 Orlando Sentinel.JPG
    Nov 25 1953 Part 1 Orlando Sentinel.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 1,091
  • Nov 25 1953 Part 2 Orlando Sentinel.JPG
    Nov 25 1953 Part 2 Orlando Sentinel.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 1,091
OP
OP
Jimi D Pirate

Jimi D Pirate

Oct 28, 2004
Orlando, Florida
Detector(s) used
Toyman;

Thanks for the articles it was good reading.

I knew that he owned the hotel that has been demolished now and that he enjoyed regaling his acquaintances with tall tales, but had relatively few rare coins as evidence to verify his finds.

This will stay in my 'Believe it or Not" folder.

"I believe nothing I hear and only half of what I see" Bruce Lee

Jimi D Pirate

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
well jimmy at least one of the pirate treasure stories of amelia island is real -- its the luis de aury * tale -- its well documented --and thus its got paper to prove it exist -- you see I do not hunt "BS" treasure --I look for the real thing -- treasures that do in fact exist --not just "rumor has it yada yada "-- luis aury took over control amelia island (which was then offically spanish territory) in 1817 --when he came to it he had a spanish slave ship he had taken ( you see aury was a "anti spanish freedom fighter" with letters of marqee from mexico and venezula (who were trying to break away from spain) -- however to spain he was simply "a pirate"---in route from texas to florida he took a spanish ship with 95 slaves on it .--- which he sold to a man named bowen from georgia in fernandina for $60,000 in coin --bowen planned to slip the slaves into georgia and sell them for a tidy profeit ( the american 1803 law made it illegal to import "new" slaves from africa but there was a high demand for new slaves and the town of fernandina even before aury had arrived was known as a slave smuggling and general smuggling port for many years while it was "offically" under spanish control ( for folks seeking ways around the booze taxes and import bans of the usa --- fernandina was "the place")

bowen was caught attempting to bring the slaves into georgia --they were taken away and some were sold by order of the govenor -- well the "original spanish slave ship owner" found out that his slaves had been sold --and he filed suit in the american courts --saying that he never brought the slaves in -- that he was robbed at sea and his stolen slaves were brought to the USA without his approval or knowledge --and once the USA found "his stolen property" should have returned his "property" to him the lawful owner.--- it was a big trial -- it is thru these court records that the "proof" of payment for the slaves claimed to be owned by bowen and the amount paid comes up --- it was paid in oct of 1817 -- aury was arrested by USA military forces which took over (then still "offically" spanish) * amelia island in dec of 1817---( a mere 2 months --60 days to spend $60,000 -- spend $1000 a day in 1817 ? please --- plus aury was allowing other folks to land pirated spanish goods and sell them for a 1 / 6th cut -- (frankly the massive loss of bussiness suffered by the georgia bussiness folks and the US govt taxes on booze that was lost( because so many folks were buying hot goods on amelia island) is why the big money folks in georgia demanded that the US Govt shut him down) when arrested on the south end of the island aury had no money on him -- when he was finally released after about a month -- since the us govt could not find a "legal" way to hang him ( he never took american vessels or allowed looted american goods in port for sale --he had legal letters of marquee from mexico / venezula for warring with spanish vessels and land , he never personnally smuggled goods (he sold it to others what they did with it --none of his bussiness--- so"offically" he broke no laws )--- however he was put (broke) on his ship (which was searched stem to stern for money ) and told to leave and not return on pain of death ( he died 3 years later on a island in the carribean from a broken neck after being thrown off by a horse and during the 3 years he lived rather shabby so it seems he did not find a way to get back to claim his money or that he might have somehow slipped away with it.)-- so the $60,000 and aurys cut of the hot goods sold --are most likely buried somewhere on the island -- Ivan

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
quite true ashlee 1228 -- but there is the differance "rumor" has it ---vs -- valid historical papers say it ---which is just the point I trying to make -- theres a major differance between the two -- now I am not saying that "rumor has it" is not or can not be true ( oddly in many cases there is often a some bit of truth in many of those stories)-- but well documented "real" treasures are the ones I deem worthy of all the time and effort and money needed to look for them . often "rumor" has it stories will have you chasing after your tail in circles like a dog does.--sorting the gold from fools gold --is what good research is all about.

OP
OP
Jimi D Pirate

Jimi D Pirate

Oct 28, 2004
Orlando, Florida
Detector(s) used
Hi Ashlee,

Bowlegged Billy got around!

Having grown up from that area I can remember diving in the 70s over the sunken city of Port St Joe, there is also a German u-boat that was sunk in the bay just inside the inlet as I remember, covered by mud and muck. Souvenir's were found! Those were the days when we would spearfish the Empire Mica using the standard navy dive tables, Nitrox would have been nice back then! It was great spearfishing and I would assume it still is!

St George was our beach and before the Plantation was built many a coin were found in that area before building started and you could not get down that way without a 4 wheel drive, unless you walked for miles and miles. So all the western side was secluded with the east being somewhat. Now the east end is a state park. Locals know very well where artifacts have been washed up there as well as on any coast.

Seems like they like to establish State Parks were ever treasure is found! We used to dive the Bob Sikes cut quite often, many spearfising trips there. Yes we were risk takers in those days considering the primitive equipment used compaired to thee equipment we use today.

I still have property on Dog Island and many stories on that one too. Any of these barrier islands will produce coins and artifact after major storms. Oh don't forget one of the biggest treasures up that way are the Apalachicola oysters in the bay!

Jimi D Pirate

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic read!

Nugget Hog

Jun 25, 2006
Lakeland, Florida
Sounds like Mr. Sneed received a call from the IRS. ;D

He sure had a lot of details.. exact number of coins, the silver cup, etc...

I wonder what kind of underwater search equipment was available in the 50's?

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
ashlee1228 said:
dont forget St. George island, Billy Bowlegs was rumored to have buried a cache or two there

Assuming your avatar picture is authentic....I think I'm in love :wink: After lurking through these forums everyday with the usual bilge rats, it's awesome to see such a beauty involved in our discussions :thumbsup:. Go Noles!

Pcola

OP
OP
Jimi D Pirate

Jimi D Pirate

Oct 28, 2004
Orlando, Florida
Detector(s) used
Nugget: In 1943 Captain Jacques-Yves Cousteau and Emile Gagnan opened the doors to ocean exploration by inventing the Aqualung. By the way Harry Houdini invented the diving suit that he used during some of his escapes underwater.

Aqualungs were throughout the 50's but considered dangerous, if this picture comes out then I think Jane looks pretty dangerous in an Aqualung ! :icon_pirat: and of course the Bond girls

Pcola: I think Ashlee has a lot of boyfriends or at least alot of Pcolaboys wanting to be her friend! I'm from Pensacola (Indian name for Pensacola is Hairy People) a town with Lot's of Hairy History! ;D

I miss the Blue Angels

Jimi

Attachments

• aqualung.jpg
    aqualung.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 534

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Sorry boys, Ashlee is spoken for by Bran (godisnum1) here on Tnet. She's even in his avatar pic...

Attachments

• bran and ashlee.JPG
    bran and ashlee.JPG
    3.4 KB · Views: 758

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread