Zetagator

Tenderfoot
Jan 12, 2014
Melbourne, FL
Detector(s) used
Cobra Beach Magnet
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in Melbourne and the nearest beaches doesn't have park managers, cops, lifeguards, etc. for miles. Understanding you are not allowed to go past low tide do you think anyone would care for just even a foot or so of water? im not saying that i should go and break all the laws but it is typically deserted during the winter. I have also seen other detectorists go by and don't seem to get in trouble. Also i know a guy who is a cop and told me that going in the shallow water should be fine. What should i do? Any help would be great. thanks.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

I live in Melbourne and the nearest beaches doesn't have park managers, cops, lifeguards, etc. for miles. Understanding you are not allowed to go past low tide do you think anyone would care for just even a foot or so of water? im not saying that i should go and break all the laws but it is typically deserted during the winter. I have also seen other detectorists go by and don't seem to get in trouble. Also i know a guy who is a cop and told me that going in the shallow water should be fine. What should i do? Any help would be great. thanks.

zetagator, your question sort of strikes me as being like this: "would anyone mind if I drove against the painted arrows in a deserted Kmart parking lot at 2am?". I mean, seriously, what do you think? Is anyone really caring about minutia about what constitutes "in the water", to begin with there? Eg.: with surf lapping at your toes, versus, up to your ankles, versus to your knees, etc...?

Naruhina

May 25, 2016
Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver (Used)
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this is a very old Topic, But I don't go to the beach very often (Sense I was a kid really) and New to Metal Detecting, What do you mean by "hunt on the shore from toe of dunes to mean low tide line" mean?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this is a very old Topic, But I don't go to the beach very often (Sense I was a kid really) and New to Metal Detecting, What do you mean by "hunt on the shore from toe of dunes to mean low tide line" mean?
The toe of dunes is line where dunes meets the flat beach, mean low tide line is line where wet sand touches the water, on restricted lease areas you can't put the coil in the water unless your a lease owner or sub contractor lease owner, you can't detect or walk on the dunes.

Sent from my P008 using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread