Floridians Be Aware: Nile crocodiles slither into South Florida

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Nile crocodiles slither into South Florida - Orlando Sentinel

Terry Spencer Associated Press

FORT LAUDERDALE — Step aside, Burmese python — you may no longer be Florida's scariest invasive species.

Researchers have confirmed that three Nile crocodiles were captured near Miami, and they say it's possible more of the man-eating reptiles are still out there, although no one can say for sure.

The big question now: How did they get to Florida?

"They didn't swim from Africa," University of Florida herpetologist Kenneth Krysko said. "But we really don't know how they got into the wild."

Krysko and his co-authors just published a paper showing that DNA testing proved the three animals captured in 2009, 2011 and 2014 are Nile crocs, a species whose males grow to over 16 feet long and weigh upward of 1,600 pounds.

Nile crocs are believed to be responsible for up to 200 fatalities annually in their native sub-Saharan Africa. Compare that with an annual average of six reported shark attack deaths globally.

Krysko, who works at UF's Florida Museum of Natural History, said the captured crocodiles matched genetically, meaning they are related to one another, but didn't match Nile crocs kept at Disney's Animal Kingdom and other licensed Florida attractions.

That means they probably were brought to Florida illegally by an unlicensed reptile collector who either didn't contain them properly, allowing them to escape, or, more sinisterly, planted them in the Everglades in hopes they would multiply.

The Nile croc, if it became established in the Everglades, would pose another invasive threat to its teetering ecosystem. Through crossbreeding, they could endanger the smaller, less aggressive American crocodiles, which have never been responsible for a confirmed human death in the U.S.

About 1,000 American crocodiles live in South Florida, mostly in mangroves and estuaries. Any hybrids would degrade the genetic integrity of the endangered American variety.

Nile crocs also are known to attack livestock, which would be bad news for cattle farms that border the Everglades.

Krysko and two co-authors, independent wildlife biologist Joe Wasilewski and UF wildlife ecology professor Frank Mazzotti, think more Nile crocs lurk unfound in the Everglades, but they aren't certain.

Allyson Gantt, a spokeswoman for Everglades National Park, where one of the reptiles was found, disagrees, saying no Nile crocs still roam the park.

Some Everglades visitors might not be aware of the differences between crocodiles and alligators, complicating efforts to confirm any remaining crocs. Crocodiles have angular snouts, and their lower teeth are exposed when their mouths are closed.

Alligator snouts are rounded, with few exposed lower teeth. Nile crocs are usually bronze or brownish yellow; alligators are blackish green.

All three Nile crocodiles were captured in extreme South Florida.

The first, a hatchling, was found on a front porch and sent to a Louisiana reptile exhibit. The second, a female measuring 4 feet, was captured at a park. Wasilewski kept it, but later gave it to another licensed researcher. The third was captured twice. The first trapper didn't have the proper permit, so he released the female. The croc was recaptured two years later 18 miles away by water in Everglades National Park. It was euthanized.

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey ADS!! Yea, send them on down to Louisiana, we will let Ole Troy down in Pierre Part take care of them and turn them into Crock Leather and Bisque!! Anyway, GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey ADS!! Yea, send them on down to Louisiana, we will let Ole Troy down in Pierre Part take care of them and turn them into Crock Leather and Bisque!! Anyway, GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

LOL over 16 feet long and weighing upward of 1,600 pounds.
I think Troy would Wet himself :laughing7:
He'd have to tow it in behind boat & have a crane onshore waiting.
what does he have a 12 Foot Boat ?

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
That is a big damn croc; I do not like being near things that require a larger caliber than I carry. Call me a human but I like to think I am at the top of the food chain. Screw that man.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Troy don't got no boat, Troy gots him a pirouge and he has his friend Baston and their friend, Jacque Danielle for courage. Beside, he need that money for to buy him a new mule to plant his garden...

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
That is a big damn croc; I do not like being near things that require a larger caliber than I carry. Call me a human but I like to think I am at the top of the food chain. Screw that man.
Welcome to Florida, the home of invasive species- iguanas, basilisks, monitors, wild pigs brought by the Spanish in the 16th century and the cattle that went feral fed the Confederacy and created an industry, anacondas, pythons, armadillos, love bugs, and rhesus monkeys along the Silver/ Oklawaha Rivers and the Ocala National Forest.
Florida is not DISNEYWORLD.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread