Flour Gold

Kirk_75

Jun 11, 2023
Hi there, I am in AU. I recently bought a Minelab GPZ 4500 to get into prospecting. I have a lot of quartz from old mining works on my land. Some of it I can visually see small flakes of flour gold (which I am yet to crush and pan). However, when I pass my detector over it doesn't make a noise? Should flour gold still be detectable?

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi there, I am in AU. I recently bought a Minelab GPZ 4500 to get into prospecting. I have a lot of quartz from old mining works on my land. Some of it I can visually see small flakes of flour gold (which I am yet to crush and pan). However, when I pass my detector over it doesn't make a noise? Should flour gold still be detectable?
No, not unless it’s in concentrated quantities.

Oops..answer stands.

Show us your “gold”? Might be mica or pyrite. Suggest you try the gold forums.

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ (Down Under)
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
AlgoForce E1500
It can be depending on, like stated, the concentrations of it in the host rock, quartz. Gpx's are not the greatest for fine gold species though the later 5000 then 6000 do a much better job than the previous ones, especially the 5000 with a small evolution coil or the 6000. They still wont beat a screamer VLF though. I owned all the Gpxs other than the 6000, but know from mates how good they are. Had a 7 too.
I hunted lots on reefs in Vic over the yrs and am yet to see anything PI come close to getting those crazy finer gold species. Its quite amazing how blind all the PIs are to that type.
I have been giving the E1500 a test out vs Garrett 24k. The E1500 though touted as sensitive as a screamer VLF, by screamer I mean upwards in the frequency ranges of 40s and higher. The E1500 too is blind to some of my weird testers, rubbing the coil over them.
Below is a vial of some crushed mineralisation vein I found once. It contains gold, the vial has around 1/2 gram gold in specks. Because of it being concentrated those specks are now presenting a signal, on their own or seperated they wont. But that vial is pretty representative of the same mix in the vein. Garrett 24k gets it, E1500 is blind to it as would all other PI detectors.
IMG_20240413_135025_406~2.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread